Torque Converter Lock Up Switch Installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Lock Up Switch Installed

wonderer

Reaction score
City, State
Sparta WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' 4X4 EB
Torque converter lock up switch.

I finally got around to trying the torque converter lock up switch idea and the results are in…

I was disappointed to find out Ford has the worst system I’ve come across so far…

First a brief summary:

I originally tried this idea to save some fuel and wear and tear. When cruising around town, when its cold, or driving at speeds less than about 40mph , the Torque converter never gets locked up. It slips and creates lots of heat and makes the engine rpms rev about 2 to 1 against a manual transmission in the same gear, which of course, all that wasted heat and energy is also wasted gas.

After the original idea came another reason: to get rid of excessive heat build up in the tranny… I bought this Explorer with the intentions of pulling a 23’ Jayco travel trailer, (7’ X 7’ frontal area , 3400 lbs empty, 4400 fully loaded). This will be fairly to extremely hard on my poor old SUV and it’s gonna need all the help I can give it. I figured if I could get it to lock up in 1rst and 2nd, I could keep the heat generation way down. Unfortunately, the A4LD doesn’t allow lock up in these 2 gears at all.

Fortunately , it WILL allow lock up in drive above 30mph which means you can keep it locked while merging into interstate traffic pulling a boat or more, like in my case lol. 20 seconds of all-out floor-boarding will cook tranny oil to some extent even before it can get to the tranny coolers. Another approach is city driving at 30 – 45 mph , hit the switch and get rid of extra heat and maybe save some fuel.

I wired my Explorer up for both TC lock up and forced OD gear mode, but it functioned differently than I thought it would.

The way the lock-ups on my other 2 vehicles have worked is like this…

1rst gear: No affect
2nd gear: No affect
Drive: Locks up Torque converter at ANY speed as long as it stays in drive, (about 20-25 mph with no throttle should get it into drive, and it will still kick down into 2nd with enough pedal).

Now Ford’s wacky A4LD:

1rst gear: No affect
2nd gear: No affect
3rd gear: On my Ex, it will not work initially upon dropping into drive. It needs to climb to about 30 mph in drive before some other determining force in the tranny decides it’s time to let the lockup clutch engage, it would however, after locking up, let it stay locked all the way down to lugging 20 mph or so , basically until it shifted back into 2nd on the way to a stop. Normally it will lock up on its own at about 43 or so when it’s warmed up and with no interference from the switch.

I’m not sure about the rest of the world’s opinion on the OD switch, but I’m convinced it has no purpose. Lock up has it’s advantages still, even with the wacky shift, but the OD switch showed very little if any useful function, other than holding it in OD forcefully. In my opinion is that this V6 is already under powered pretty much anytime it goes into OD and if it’s wanting to kick out of OD, its probably doing the right thing! Another reason for not having a “force OD gear” switch is that I found you could get it into OD WITHOUT lock-up. This would increase the gear ratio even further out of the power band and cause more slipping of the torque converter and more heat build up then if left in 3rd and we all know what heat does to our trannys : (.

To those who are interested in playing around with the idea, I’ve included the following info:

!!!WARNING!!!
1. The controller that engages lock up and OD will be damaged if you short it’s output wires to B+ OR attempt to hold the output at a voltage greater than .7 volts. If you make connections to this circuit, I advise that you install a .75 or 1 amp , 250 volt fuse inline to the switch mentioned below, this will help prevent damage to the computer, (very expensive) .
2. A short in the added wiring or existing wiring or miss-use of the switch, may cause the torque converter to lock up unexpectedly, and cause erratic shifting.
3. Use of this idea is EXPERIMENTAL use it at your own risk!
4. Wire colors very from year to year and model to model, don’t use the wrong ones!

Ford has a simple computer output that was easy to modify, (class C transistor output stage).

On the driver’s fender, there is a pair of wire harnesses and plugs. The group of wires involved here, come from the tranny, up over the driver’s side engine head, go to the front of the engine and then go across to the fender, pretty much directly over the front tire.

On the 1992 Explorer, the torque converter lock up solenoid wire is purple with yellow stripe and the overdrive (3-4 shift) solenoid is orange with yellow stripe. I think a few years used these colors, but beware, there are other colored wires for this function! The 91’ uses white and tan/white wires for example. The best way to tell is to get a repair manual that shows these wires and how they are connected. I used the Chilton 1991-99 Ford Ranger/Explorer/Mountaineer manual #26688.

I attached wires to the orange/yellow, (overdrive) and the purple/yellow(TC lock-up), and ran them through the firewall just below the power brake module , (there is an access panel you can remove or drill through, and a pre-punched hole in the floor padding there). I soldered them in place for reliability reasons , but crimp splices or wire nuts would work ok. I hooked one side of a momentary push-button switch, (Radio Shack part #275-011), to the newly spliced wire and the other side of the switch to chassis ground.

You really need to search for a good ground in that thing! The dash doesn’t seem to be grounded well at all, I tried from the key switch, (which is ground most of the time if you wiggle it a little), to lots of different locations and finally found a good enough ground on the park brake mounting bolt, you need to scrape the paint off the back side of the washer to get a good connection. There are probably better ways to ground that wire but I got tired of searching, maybe in the fuse box somewhere?

I’m one to take shortcuts if at all possible so I just drilled a hole through a 1” X 2” X 3” long chunk of pine board and slipped the switch into it, making sure the hole was just big enough for the switch shank with the nut removed, would fit and not the larger area on the bezel. Then I gooped up the back side with GE clear silicon sealer, waited for it to dry and attached a strip of Velcro to the back to make it adjustable or movable so you can move it out of the way then nobody else hits it by accident.

Be careful when using this thing, it might be possible to damage something if you engage it at the wrong time with too much throttle etc.

I have one question for the tranny pros out there… Is there a way to make this thing work in L1 or L2 ???

P.S. I have a nice drawing of this modified schematic, but I can't seem to post it here:(.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interesting. Keep us informed on your system.

I've thought of doing this, too, but your post causes me some confusion. What do you mean in warning 1? From the research I've done (transmission manuals, backprobing the lockup circuit) the computer acts simply as a ground side switch. I was just going to put a switch to ground in parallel with the computer so I wouldn't have to wait for the computer to ground the circuit to engage o/d or lockup. This is the first time I've heard of "controlling" the voltage output.
As far as forcing lockup in 1 or 2, the transmission manual I read (Mitchell) said that lockup was hydraulically inhibited in 1 and 2. I didn't study the hydraulic diagrams they had in enough detail to see how they designed the hydraulic inhibition. If you were going to force lockup in 1 and 2, I, therefore, think it would have to be done on the hydraulic level. The only time I've seen lockup in 1 and 2 was a malfunction in a GM THM 125 transaxle where the valve got dirty and wouldn't allow the TCC to unlock. But then you'd stop and the car would stall and you couldn't get going again.
And, FWIW, The main reason I want to put the "force o/d" switch in is for use in 4L. Without trying to start a debate on how fast you can go in 4L, I sometimes wish I could lower the engine RPM's in low range, but the computer won't shift into od because the vehicle speed is so slow. I know, someone wants to say that, at that point, I should shift into 4H. but that requires stopping. shifting into od doesn't require stopping.

Just a little curiosity here....

The TC lock/unlock when cold may be for emissions and reliability reasons. I notice it in my 00 as well - when really cold, the TC won't lock until you get to ~70-80 MPH. My thinking here is it's to allow the engine/trans/emissions to quickly warm up to operating temperature. The Emissions stuff is basically useless untill warmed up.

Locking the TC when pulling a large load may not be the best thing for the triansmission either. Instead of having some hydraulic slip you are going to be placing the load all on some partially worn friction material, which, if and when it starts to loose gripping power will have lots of slip/heat, etc that won't be good for the transmission/TC at all. Not to mention that by running the engine/trans at a lower RPM, while potentially lowering heat output will also lower fluid circulation, which could lead to a higher temp.

Of course, I may well be 100% wrong, but it's just another opinion.

The debate continues...

In reply to MrShorty

The warning was intended to be just as it was written. If you connect a wire between the computer’s output and B+, the battery "hot", there is a good chance, (with most modern designs), the output circuit will overload and self-destruct. I think there’s a very good chance of you witnessing a small fireball followed and a cloud of smoke!

It is NOT simply a switch that the computer flips... It most likely consists of a class A, common-emitter, transistor driver stage or possibly a FET, (field effect transistor), which can easily be damaged by over loading, (such as the case of trying to bring a 500 amp battery to a dead short, that is what it would attempt to do if you hooked or shorted the output lead to the battery + or another source from within a wiring harness somewhere).

That circuit can be made with output protection built in, but I have no proof of this so… I proposed a 1-amp fuse in line with the switch and probably, the closer to where you splice in, the better.

If you were an idiot, or you made a simple mistake, (I’ve toasted lots of semiconductor devices in my days!), and you did hook it to B+ or the wires you were using got cut/melted and came into contact with a 12 source on the vehicle somewhere it would blow that fuse and save the computer, else poof!

Don’t be afraid to wire it up, just make sure you stick a fuse in series as close as possible to the splice.

Now, to change the subject..

I got somewhat disappointing results using this switch. To the best of my knowledge, when engaged, it causes the tranny to go into 4th lockup right from 3rd unlocked, not even bothering to stop in 3rd locked. So the only way to keep it from flying from 3 unlocked all he way to 4 locked is to pull the shifter back out of the OD position.

There is quite the jolt when you shift with the TC locked up too, hard on things I believe. If your gonna shift between 3 and 4 or the other way, let up on that button for a second, before you shift…

I’ve tried both wires for both solenoids, and I get the same results, I don’t think you can just lock up the clutch without going into OD. You guys are going to have to experiment along with me, to find out if there is a difference at ALL between those 2 solenoids.

Any more questions or comments please post em here..
Thanks

Attachments

• submit reply.jpg
    submit reply.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,978

Finally got to use your image, eh Robb? :D

I haven't seen the other thread but i'll say this to the OP.

well, i'm an EE and do ET work by trade and just happen to have a explorer computer sitting right beside me. You wanna pic of what it looks like inside?

It is all controlled on 64 pin square ttl and mosfet chips. On the exterior it is lined on all 4 walls with to-220 case style transistors for the high current switching applications. There are no diodes in it which would be used for reverse voltage ro short circut protection. so if you do it wrong, tough toot's. the computer doesnt have a single diode in it to protect it.

wonderer, If you can tell us what the origianal thread was, your post can still be inserted into that thread......

Okay, they have been "Stitched" LOL;)

Thanks fur the patch job!

Thanks again, best to keep all this togethher lol. I'm starting a new thread on stearing gears, my newest project..

Do you have a wiring diagram you could post? I guess your description is confusing me. The diagrams I've seen for the circuit (Chilton's, Mitchell, Motor, www.autozone.com) show (starting at battery power) B+ -- solenoid -- PCM. The diagrams don't show the connection to ground, because, as you said, it's more than just a simple switch, but, in essence, from everything I've read, the computer simply completes the circuit at a time of the computer's choosing. What I had always envisioned was a simple switch from the solenoid to ground that I could use to "ground" the circuit myself and engage the OD/TCC. I'm interested in seeing what you did with your wiring.

Yeah, my friend and I did the same thing on his X to try and get it to lock up in first for compression braking, but ran into the same problem. It did occur to me later what had happened.
The A4LD's were based off of the C3, which is a french piece of crap that has been in very light duty appilcations. Problem is that for the most part the tranny is still manually controlled by the valve body. The only electronic control by the computer is the parts of the tranny that were adapted to the C3. Namely the OD unit and the lockup converter. The problem with the converter lies in the fact that even though you manually trigger the lock up solenoid, there is no pressure being directed to it from the valvebody in the tranny and bingo, no worky:(

Back