torque converter lock up switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque converter lock up switch

db13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Bronco II
Any one know where i could find the how to (with pics maybe) for changing the torque converter lock up switch where it goes into the transmission?Thank you for your time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might help to know what year/transmission you're working on.

torque converter lock up

Sorry I was in a hurry headed out the door when I posted ...it's a 1988 Bronco II that was gave to my son about 3 yrs ago.It has the A4LD od and the converter won't lock.I checked the computer it's good,so I start checking the wiring and find the lock up switch un plugged and I can"t get it to plug back in.The tranny was supposed to have been rebuilt but i'm wondering if maybe they put a different one in instead (the Bronco II has a 3 wire connection at the switch & I'm thinking the tranny has a 2 wire switch) so I want to pull the switch to see if its a 2 wire or maybe full of road grime (been unpugged for 3yrs or more).So how do I get the switch out?Again thanks for your time.Also if this turns out to be my problem can I switch the 2 prong with a 3 (switch)or do i have to change the wiring?

(the Bronco II has a 3 wire connection at the switch & I'm thinking the tranny has a 2 wire switch)
If they did indeed put an older A4LD in, that could explain it. To access the solenoid, you have to drop the pan. From there you should be able to see if you have one solenoid or two solenoids in the valve body. (Aside: seems like a rotten thing to me to give somebody an incorrectly "rebuilt" transmission in that manner, but that's just me).

I'm not 100% certain, but it seems like you can just swap out the valve bodies to get it to work (if you do find only one solenoid).

torque converter lock up

Yes its not right but how many times does it happen (i'll put that one in because its laying there ).Thats why I do my own maintanance I know the mechanic.Any way thanks for your time and I guess if it turns out to be a 2 wire switch i'll rewire.

Back