• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter

mark_98xp

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98sport
Not sure yet but i think I may have loose bolts connecting flywheel to torque converter. Its making some jangling rattling noise and explains the popping I've expierencing between shifts lately. Anyone else ever had a problem like this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had flexplate failures.... where the inner portion of the plate had broken in a circle completely loose from the rest of the plate.

If you pull out the transmission to replace the torque converter, I would suggest that you replace the crankshaft to flywheel spacer (8 bolt pattern), and rear main seal while you have the flywheel out.

I had codes pulled, the reading was p0741 tcc stuck off. this is the tc clutch right. the tranny fluid was bad real bad. the tranny shop which i took it too said metal was in the pan. unfortunately i was'nt able to be there to see it. he says there could be something wrong with a planetary gear. can't really know if it isn't opened up. I told heim to button it back up and replace fluid with merc V. long story short it got mercIII and a new filter(which might get clogged up?) The tcc is my main concern at this time. I'm going to drive it for now and keep any eye on it

I will assume you have the 5R55E... you have not said.

You could have something simple as a failing Torque convertor clutch solenoid. Or other VB issues. My biggest fear is the report of metal in the pan. IF that is true, your tranny is going to show it's stripe real soon - BUT... shops are not always honest about that. Your reports of noise concern me.

Back