Tow Package for 2019 Limited - 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Package for 2019 Limited - 4WD

bweezy90

Reaction score
City, State
Lathrop
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2019-Limite
Good Afternoon!

I recently purchased a used Ford Explorer 2019 Limited 4WD that I love. The reason I purchased this vehicle was to tow a small 3000 pound travel trailer. The car does not have a hitch installed. I've read about the Class 3 tow package for the Ford Explorer but was wondering what was necessary. I know the hitch will need to be installed and the cabling, but I've also read I will need to upgrade my brake rotors and brake pads which cost about $650.

Does anyone have any experiencing with adding the tow package? If so, can you tell me what parts you used and how much it was to either install it or get it installed at a shop.

Thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
With the aftermarket hitch, the Explorer is rated to tow 2000 lbs. There are several posts on that. It doesn't matter that the aftermarket one is a Class III hitch. Check out this recent thread; Can my explorer safely pull a camper like this

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
With the aftermarket hitch, the Explorer is rated to tow 2000 lbs. There are several posts on that. It doesn't matter that the aftermarket one is a Class III hitch. Check out this recent thread; Can my explorer safely pull a camper like this

Peter

On the ford website it states the model ford I have can pull 5000 pounds. Are you saying that Ford is selling a vehicle they advertise as being able to tow 5000 pounds when in fact it's only 2000? That's a huge difference.

On the ford website it states the model ford I have can pull 5000 pounds. Are you saying that Ford is selling a vehicle they advertise as being able to tow 5000 pounds when in fact it's only 2000? That's a huge difference.
You can tow 5000 lbs IF you have the optional trailer tow package (52T) and weight distribution hitch as stated in the document I linked. If you don't have the factory installed tow package than your vehicle is rated to tow 2000 lbs. The information is all there in the document.

Peter

You can tow 5000 lbs IF you have the optional trailer tow package (52T) and weight distribution hitch as stated in the document I linked. If you don't have the factory installed tow package than your vehicle is rated to tow 2000 lbs. The information is all there in the document.

Peter

Just to add to this one, maybe some clarification or reiteration from Peters post - Your vehicle is certainly capable of pulling 5000 lbs (which is what the dealer is selling you) from a power perspective however, as Peter has pointed out, ONLY if you have the factory components for the tow package installed. Otherwise, from a stability standpoint, you can safely tow 2000 lbs - I had the same experience when wanting to add a tow hitch to mine. I added one anyway because I only need to tow a small motorcycle trailer..

I've seen this same question a lot on here and from what Ive read, its much too expensive to add the factory towing after the fact. Doesn't mean it cant be done but you will be deep into your pockets if you do.

I've seen this same question a lot on here and from what Ive read, its much too expensive to add the factory towing after the fact. Doesn't mean it cant be done but you will be deep into your pockets if you do.

But you will still only have the factory rating for towing. It doesn't matter what you do to a vehicle to upgrade it for towing it will never be rated for more than what the factory certificate says that it is rated for. While this isn't a real big deal it could turn into one if you happen to get into a accident and they determine that it is your fault.

I see this all the time on a couple of truck forums. People purchase a light duty truck and then try to make it a heavy duty one and wonder if they can get it re certified for the higher weights that they plan to use it for...It can't be done.

But you will still only have the factory rating for towing. It doesn't matter what you do to a vehicle to upgrade it for towing it will never be rated for more than what the factory certificate says that it is rated for. While this isn't a real big deal it could turn into one if you happen to get into a accident and they determine that it is your fault.

I see this all the time on a couple of truck forums. People purchase a light duty truck and then try to make it a heavy duty one and wonder if they can get it re certified for the higher weights that they plan to use it for...It can't be done.

Exactly. It just ends up being too costly money and other factors, you know?

So, for me anyway.. I stick to bike racks and a single motorcycle trailer just to be safe.

Peter
I appreciate the clarification Peter. Can I install the 52T tow package since I now have the vehicle. I've seen all the parts in the package and it seems I can take it to a shop and have them install it all.

Thanks again!

Just to add to this one, maybe some clarification or reiteration from Peters post - Your vehicle is certainly capable of pulling 5000 lbs (which is what the dealer is selling you) from a power perspective however, as Peter has pointed out, ONLY if you have the factory components for the tow package installed. Otherwise, from a stability standpoint, you can safely tow 2000 lbs - I had the same experience when wanting to add a tow hitch to mine. I added one anyway because I only need to tow a small motorcycle trailer..

It all looks pretty basic to me. Some wiring, oil cooler, and the Hitch. I found the below from another user asking a similar question. Seems pretty doable. Parts are affordable and the labor isn't to bad. I'm hoping under $1250 for the entire install with parts.

It all looks pretty basic to me. Some wiring, oil cooler, and the Hitch. I found the below from another user asking a similar question. Seems pretty doable. Parts are affordable and the labor isn't to bad. I'm hoping under $1250 for the entire install with parts.

I haven't read that anyone actually did it, granted I could have missed that post but if you do, hopefully we can get an update on how it all went?

I haven't read that anyone actually did it, granted I could have missed that post but if you do, hopefully we can get an update on how it all went?

Yes sir. Plan to do it later this year. Will post an update with some photos when done. Thanks for the help.

There is also a different transmission for the tow package

I appreciate the clarification Peter. Can I install the 52T tow package since I now have the vehicle. I've seen all the parts in the package and it seems I can take it to a shop and have them install it all.

Thanks again!
The only issue is that it would still be considered an aftermarket installation. According to Ford, it will only be rated for 5000 lbs with the optional factory installed package. So the way I see it, legally it is still 2000 lbs. Also, as JAPetersen mentioned the factory package includes a different transmission. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks again!

The tow package has a thicker radiator for better cooling. With tow package, you get part #
EB5Z-8005-E. Without the tow package, you get EB5Z-8005-A.

Tow package also has the 6f55 transmission, non tow package has the 6f50 transmission.

No matter how you slice it, your vehicle is a 2,000 pound tow rating for the rest of its life.

You would think its that easy but its not "simply plug and play" see my forum post about adding a new towing package/Hitch.

You have to have to vehicle programmed by the dealership otherwise the lights wont work.

Back