• Register Today It's free!

Towing a 1996 Explorer

luap

Reaction score
City, State
La Crosse, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I would like to tow my 1996 Explorer behind my motorhome with all four wheels down. It is a LXT control trac 4WD. According to my owners manual I can go to the Ford garage and have them activate the neutral tow feature. I believe that they also install an indicator light to show that it is shifted into neutral. Has anyone had this done and towed their Explorer with this feature. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a scan tool to turn on this feature myself. Thanks.

I think it is actually a "kit" which means it has a relay and a switch of some sort. It connects to the transfer case to make it kick into neutral. I'd think this could be installed by an individual, if you could get a kit and find out what is in it, I may be able to help.

I called the Ford dealer today and found out that the Neutral Tow kit costs $13.45 and I believe that it is only an indicator light to show when it is in neutral. They also have to go in the PCM and enable the Neutral tow feature which costs about $40, so that is not too bad. I wish that I could enable it myself though.

Back