Just bought a 1996 Explorer

damianbyington

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer SLT
Hey there guys,

I just bought a 1996 Ford Explorer, it's a 4.0L V6 with EFI, The SLT package. It has 248000 miles on it. My grandpa was the previous owner and has been using it for his work truck for as long as I can remember. It starts right up every time, idles like a beauty, but the acceleration is a little rough. Maybe this can be fixed with a tune up. Anyway, I'm going to do basic maintenance on it, trans fluid change, oil change, new filters, lube it up, wash it inside and out and probably replace the carpet (it has oil stains from his tools). What do you recommend I do to either A) find any potential problems with such a high mileage Ford or B) do to make it run it's absolute best? Should I just take it into a shop and tell them to just look over everything? How much would that cost? Thanks for your replies, this site is very helpful. I'm hoping I can make this car last another 50000 miles at least, I've heard of people doing it. He never took it off-roading and it shifts (automatic) perfectly still. On a scale of 1-10 I am about a 6 when it comes to cars, I know how they work, and the basics but would probably need help when it came to most engine stuff. Thanks again!

with that many miles, i'd start with a compression test and a tune up (plugs/wires). i don't know if i'd mess with the transmission fluid, other than maybe what's in the pan and installing a new filter. a total fluid change, or flush, could do more harm that good. as you know (or can find out) the maintenance history on this vehicle, you know what parts may need replacing (ball joints, shocks, brakes, fluids). it's an old truck, treat it gently and you may make your 50k goal.

Back