• Register Today It's free!

Towing a Boat with a Limited

Xavid

Reaction score
City, State
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
I am considering buying a gently used 23-24 foot bowrider or deckboat and want to be sure a 2006 Explorer Limited will handle towing it safely and reliably. The 2006 Explorer Limited, with the 4.6L V8 has a tow rating of 7300 lbs, I believe. The listed dry weight of the boats I'm looking at are about 4000-4500 lbs. Taking into consideration the extras (400 lbs gas, 1100 lbs trailer, 300-500 lbs miscellaneous) that should be ok, right? I've heard concerns from a lot of tow-heads that I would need a Tundra or F-250 or something stouter like an Excursion or at least an Expedition? What do you all think? Thanks, from a newbie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'll be fine towing it.. Just turn off overdrive and if you have time install a tranny temp gauge.

It will tow it no problem, but your main concern would be if the tow hitch could handle it, so what class do you have on your X?

It will tow it no problem, but your main concern would be if the tow hitch could handle it, so what class do you have on your X?

Well I don't actually have it yet, but its a virtual lock that I will. It's a bargain deal through a friend of the family - relatively low miles, single previous owner who took good care of it, etc. I haven't driven it yet, but it is said to be in great condition. I don't believe they used the tow package, and I am not sure what set up it has on it. What is the right way to tell if its III vs. IV, and if its class III, what all is involved to upgrade?

You can tell what class it is most time my just looking at the hitch itself, class 1 is just the ball on the bumper, class 2 is what your going to see most of the time just on a frame aprox. two feet long, class 3 is going to be a heavier made and over three feet long, and finally the class 4 is going to be a long framed hitch with distribution arms that attach to the the frame to move the weight more over the entire truck. It doesn't take much just bolt on a hitch kit, can be bought at most part stores and wal-mart.

You can tell what class it is most time my just looking at the hitch itself, class 1 is just the ball on the bumper, class 2 is what your going to see most of the time just on a frame aprox. two feet long, class 3 is going to be a heavier made and over three feet long, and finally the class 4 is going to be a long framed hitch with distribution arms that attach to the the frame to move the weight more over the entire truck. It doesn't take much just bolt on a hitch kit, can be bought at most part stores and wal-mart.

This is a photo of the hitch - is it obvious what class this is by looking?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=265218671&photoIndex=3&isStock=false

Its a little hard to tell without seeing it from the bottom, but my best guess would be a class 2.

U will have no problem at all. My friend has the same explorer and has a 23 foot bayliner. Tows it perfectly.

If it is only a class 2, when installing the class iv, do I take out the class 2, and could a simpleton such as me be able to accomplish this properly? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

If it is only a class 2, when installing the class iv, do I take out the class 2, and could a simpleton such as me be able to accomplish this properly? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

Ok if you do decide to upgrade to a class four, you will have to take off the class two, and replace it with a class three with distribution arms, which would turn it into a class four, the thing is max load weight and tounge weight is not true really, because a hitch can handle more load than it specifies. In my opion four would be overkill, it would go beyond tundra and F-250 which use class 3.

Ok if you do decide to upgrade to a class four, you will have to take off the class two, and replace it with a class three with distribution arms, which would turn it into a class four, the thing is max load weight and tounge weight is not true really, because a hitch can handle more load than it specifies. In my opion four would be overkill, it would go beyond tundra and F-250 which use class 3.

Am I wrong in thinking I need a class iv? From what I've read, a class iv is for loads up to 10000 lbs., and a class iii is for loads up to 5000 lbs. I will have, in my estimation, at least 6000 lbs including trailer weight, fuel ,etc., and therefore a class iii just wont do. Am I wrong (I hope)? Also what exactly does a class iii/iv mean? I saw a hitch today in a parking lot that says its class iii/iv.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and responses. This is a great forum. I think I'll be picking up this Explorer on Thursday.

Back