• Register Today It's free!

Towing Problems

kkl

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
I use my 2002 Explorer V8 to tow a horse trailer - approx 4500 lbs.
While towing my truck stutters. Is this because of the weight or has anyone else found that this is a transmission issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does it do without the load? What's the truck rated towing weight?

-Drew

Without the load it is fine. I have the Class III Towing package, sway bars etc. I should be able to pull 6000-7000 lbs.

At first I thought it was the load pushing me but it happens when I accelerate sometimes too.

Maby a new Air filter or clkean the old one. BTW what is your elavation

Burned fluid or a bad torque converter can cause shuddering - usually most pronounced under acceleration. Ford says the fluid is lifetime in that tranny, but that is NOT the case if you tow heavy loads - it needs to be changed regularly.

If you are not under extended warranty, have a tranny shop give you an opinion. There are heavy duty torque converters available if you consistently tow heavy loads - and 4500 lbs qualifies as heavy.

If you are under Ford extended warranty, they should fix it, but I don't think Ford makes a heavy duty converter - you will have to work with the dealer to get authorization to put in a non-Ford part.

Also, you should pay close attention to how the truck upshifts / downshifts in all gears - trannys in 2002 had some problems, and shifting problems may be point to other issues.

Thanks for the advice. I will ask the dealer to check it out.

As for the elevation question, I live in VA so I don't think thats an issue. But thanks for thinking of it.

Back