Towing using the stock bumper hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing using the stock bumper hitch

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I'm picking up another project vehicle soon and need to tow it to the house. We have a 1992 XLT with 4.10 gears and 32" tires.. We tow a small trailer once in a while (just bringing trash to the dump etc) so we still use the stock bumper hitch.

Can We tow a 1973 Jaguar XJ6 on a trailer behind our explorer. We need to take it 30 miles or so.. If not, what about putting it on a car dolley. I really don't want to use a car dolley since I would need to put the back tires on it.. (blown rear end).

Thanks..

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see why you couldn't tow a Jaguar. I've towed a 1958 Willis Jeep using my stock rear bumper/tow ball. The Jeep was on all fours and I took it over 100 miles round trip. I have 3.73 gears and 31" tires, and I had no problem whats so ever.

I think the Jag is going to be much heavier than the jeep was.. plus car trailers seem to be about 1k lbs

I found some specs on the car

191.7" long
69.75" wide

108.88" wheelbase
58" track front, 58.33" track rear
3754 Curb Weight with both tanks full

I think this is going to be more than my bumper can handle..
3700lbs car plus a 1000lbs trailer.. thats a total weight of almost 5k pounds..

I don't know if it matters, but the stock 6 and stock BW tranny have been replaced by a chevy 350 motor and th350 tranny (don't think it will change the weight that much)..

If this is too much weight.. what about if I put a receiver hitch on (I really should get one anyway).

Mark

Why chance it. Get a reciever. They are only 90-100 in stores and cheaper on Ebay if you can wait. Plus it will save you that headache of being on the road and your bumper being all twisted up and the trailer 100 feet behind you in a ditch. :) Although my dad has used one of his old F150's to basically tow a small mobile home/mobile office for his contruction company on the bumper before. Those I KNOW weighted in at a lot!

Your owners manual (or even the bumper itself) should tell you the max bumper capacity. I think mine is 150lbs tongue weight and 3000 lbs towing capacity. I agree with Ryan, I would get a hidden hitch. Why chance it?

Cheers
Dale

Don't say anything if it goes wrong. I've towed both a 22 foot trailer(empty) about 5 miles and a 1978 caddy on a trailer about 15 miles on the bumper without a problem. I'm sure you could do it, but if you can, get a hitch.

Back