Towing with ford 2001 ST V6 4.0l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with ford 2001 ST V6 4.0l

Ive been told to post my question here. To get some of my concerns answered.
I have for a TV 01 ex sp trac V6 4.0l 4x4 automatic 5 speed trann also my axel code 42 axel ratio 4.10.

What I want to tow is a Gulf Stream Ameri lite 24 ft.
Hitch weight is 430 lbs. Weight of 24BH 3,625 lbs

I believe my tow weight is 5050+-?

What idea's will I be getting? Not having a brake control yet or weight distribution sys. planning on getting new shocks too and maybe add a leaf.

What do you think about me pulling this TT? What should I do to my TV?

hoping to hear from you

ty

Can somebody help answer his questions? I told him all I know on the Sport Trac forum and sent him over here. I know some of you have pulled big trailers. Help a fellow member out here, please!

I have for a TV 01 ex sp trac V6 4.0l 4x4 automatic 5 speed trann also my axel code 42 axel ratio 4.10.

What I want to tow is a Gulf Stream Ameri lite 24 ft.
Hitch weight is 430 lbs. Weight of 24BH 3,625 lbs

I believe my tow weight is 5050+-?

What idea's will I be getting? Not having a brake control yet or weight distribution sys. planning on getting new shocks too and maybe add a leaf.

What do you think about me pulling this TT? What should I do to my TV?

hoping to hear from you
ty
Assuming your rating is indeed 5000+ lbs (you need to be sure!):
I can't remember if the '01 and earlier had the bumper ball. If so, you'll obviously need a Class 3 hitch installed, capable of handling a WDH. Anything you add should have at least 5000 lbs rating, to match or exceed the truck's rating.

You must use an electronic brake controller (and be sure the brakes are working on the trailer). This could mean adding some wiring to the truck if it didn't come with a tow package that included the wiring. Any hitch shop can ad such wiring. I did it myself on our minivan when we used to camp with a popup. etrailer.com is your best source for the receiver and/or wiring kits. RVWholesalers is a good source for the brake controller. I HIGHLY recommend the Tekonsha P2 or P3. Anything else will either not work as well, or it will be much more expensive.

460 lbs is a lot of TW for an Explorer, and you'll want a WDH. I recommend the Equil-i-zer brand sway control WDH. Again, RVWholesalers.com is your best source.

By the way, your truck is a little long in the tooth. Have you maintained it well enough to start towing with it? The 4.10 gearing will really help. But the V6 may still have you wanting once you start pulling a barn door thru the wind.

Good luck.

By the way, is that 3625 the dry weight, actual empty weight, actual loaded weight, or the GVWR? If that the dry or empty weight, then your loaded weight is going to be 4200-4500 lbs. This leaves you with very little for passengers in the truck. Remember, that 5000 tow rating (if it's correct), is reduced for every lb you put in the Explorer, except for the driver's weight.

Ok my 05 trac I used to move mine and my wife's stuffing a 6'X12' enclosed trailer the weight of all people and cargo totaled 3960 and that is running with 3.73 and no WDH it was crummy. 9 MPG and was a parachute had to run full throttle just to slow the rate of MPH loss on hills. Anything over 3500 is pushing it I feel

Back