towing-

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
My parents have a 1996 Limited Explorer 4.0 and are looking into towing with it. I have a 12x6 enclosed trailer that they want to barrow to move my sister from CT to TN, round trip about 1600 miles.

my trailer has a curb weight of 880 lbs. and a GVWR of 2,990 lbs.

The trailer will be filled with furniture mostly....

think the little 4.0 will have any problems hauling it? They have a hidden hitch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just got back from a major trip from Florida to New York and back pulling a 2500# pop up camper. I have a 97 explorer sport with the 4.0 SOHC and I did some simple mods before leaving on the trip. I installed an extra Transmission cooler and an external transmission filter. I towed with the OD off with absolutely no problems.

a popup trailer has less drag though, being lower to the ground. I found towing my 15' camper troublesome at higher speeds because of the drag

You should be fine i tow company trailers which are 16ft and weight from 2500 to 5000 and i havent had a thing go wrong with my ex.

My parents have a 1996 Limited Explorer 4.0 and are looking into towing with it.

So, this vehicle has the 4.0L OHV engine, and NOT the 4.0L SOHC?? The 4.0L SOHC started in 1997........am I right?

Anyway, I point his out because the 4.0 OHV..........has got a lot less HP............than the 4.0L SOHC.

I don't have experiance towing with my 1st Gen. 4.0L OHV (stock motor).........though, I have gone up and down mountains (paved roads w/o a trailer) and I don't have much confidence in the 4.0L OHV.

Flat and straight roads..........well that's another story.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......Some folks say, "Don't tow in OD and watch your trans. temp."

Also, look at your vehicle's GCVW........here are some things (GM Manual says) to keep in mind:

If your vehicle comes with the trailering Package, there is also a load rating which includes the weight of the vehicle and the trailer it tows. This rating is called the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR).

When you weigh your trailer, be sure to include the weight of everything you put in it. And, remember to figure the weight of the people inside as part of your total.

Your dealer can help you determine your GCWR.

Also, about towing:

It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. And, it can depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle.

Aloha, Mark

PS............you said your trailer has a.........

GVWR of 2,990 lbs

That is the figure of how much weight can go in the trailer (plus the trailer weight). Of course the load has to be correctly adjusted around. And, watch the tounge weight.

Actual, trailer (plus contents) and vehicle weight (plus people, food, gas, and whatever)..............ALL TOGETHER.............check that against what the vehicle's GCWR says.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating
GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating

I have a 98 explorer 4.0 sohc, and have for a year tried to figure out how to determine how much you can tow. The dealer was a dead end as they where telling me I could tow 7100 lb.'s and i had to point out that they were looking at a 2006 explorer pamflet with the v8. After that they had no clue how to go back and look up a 98

Any way I tow a 5200 lb boat/trailer combined weight (weighed at a truck scale). I have the tranny cooler from the factory, not sure what else is included in the trailering package but am assuming I have it.

Can someone define what is included with the trailering package, and second what is the limit (general limit w/o regard to passengers in the car) of towing for the 4.0 sohc with tow package. I'm hoping there is a simple answer but may be forced to go back to the formula above.

Thanks for any help

Sorry, I can't give an exact answer.

It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. And, it can depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle.

But beware...........IF, you get into an accident..........all of this will matter..........in some cases the State Partol, will weigh everything..........IF, you're over, you're dead meat.

IMHO..........follow the formula for GVWR and GCWR..............also be aware of the tongue weight (and GAWR).............check you owner's manual.

Aloha, Mark

What is your axle ratio?? My 98 with the 4.0 SOHC and 3.73 can tow up to 5200 lbs. If you have the 3.55 axle it will tow less. The 4.0 OHV will tow less too.

I tow my 24' boat with my little 4.0L and the only thing I did to prepare it was add a trans cooler and change out the T-stat. No problems at all.

i also have a 96 ford explorer 4.0

you have the 4.0 ohv and you don`t have to worry about the torque as much as your weak transmission.

if you never service your transmission and you have more than 100000 miles then i advice you to not tow anything more than 1000 pounds.

chrisis said:
i also have a 96 ford explorer 4.0

you have the 4.0 ohv and you don`t have to worry about the torque as much as your weak transmission.

if you never service your transmission and you have more than 100000 miles then i advice you to not tow anything more than 1000 pounds.

This is true...be sure you're up on tranny service. Something I learned a long time ago! I'm on my last tranny and have had it for almost 100k miles and it hasn't skipped a beat b/c I do regular service...and change the fluid more often then you should (hey, its cheap insurance) the tranny cooler was put on when I decided to start towing 3 years ago and still no problems.

I've towed both with and without the O/D but my rule of thumb is if I'm doing steady freeway rolling w/ no hills...O/D on is just fine. If I'm going up and down hills and speeds of upto 55-60 then O/D off is best.

Jesus PUR, I thought you fell off the face of the planet! Good to see you again.

There's a metal tag bolted to the pumpkin

Back