• Register Today It's free!

TPMS rim question

Inspector13

Reaction score
City, State
Randolph, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Alright all. I got a TPMS question for you all. My '03 XLT has the satin finish 17x7.5 rims on it and does not have TPMS. I'm looking at getting new rims when I get new tires soon and was thinking about getting the original satin finish 17x7.5 rims as on mine the lips are all chewed up and the finish is oxidized and they generally look like shat. The only satin finish 17x7.5 OE rims I can find are for a TPMS equipped X. Would I be able to use these rims and just remove the TPMS sensors or do I have to try and find these rims setup for an X without the TPMS sensors??

BTW my XLT is red w/silver trim which matches the satin finish perfectly (IMHO) which is why I want them. I can't find chrome rims that I like in 17's and I think black would look like shat on my X because of it's color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you don't have TPMS now the sensors won't do anything, there is no module to listen to them. Two types of TPMS - one is the stem mount '03ish-05; '06 to my '10's the sensor is mounted on a band. I would think both can be removed, early version would get a rubber stem instead of the sensor, later one you can just take it off.

Alright cool. So I can get them and just remove the sensors/put in normal valve stems. Nice. No more ****ty rims for me.

We're all expecting pictures once you get them! :bigthumbup:

It's going to look just like it does now only with clean rims instead of nasty ones. I have pics on here but it's somewhat old. This is my best looking rim on the X and with a **** load of polish at that. You can't see that lip is all chewed up in the pic or that it is corroding. Also it now has yellow tint on the fog lights and a bit more scratches and scuffs.

37425_1486583841033_1127024552_31426633_1036554_n.jpg

Looks good...

Nevermind. Apparently I can not fine a set of 17 inch rims in good shape. I've found a total of 2 (both at different places) and the closest was a good 2 hours drive away. Everyone that has them and they are all corroded (####ing WI winter). So I bought some polish and some black chrome paint and might play with my stockers next spring or recommend me some rims. Criteria is this . . . . must be 17 inch diameter and not black. Not a huge fan of chrome but I won't rule it out.

Well depending on what type of jobs you do with your truck or if you thrash it through the rocks and mud you can get some nice looking cheap sets of rims from pepboys. They have their "pepboys brand specials" all the time. If there is a pepboys by you it may be useful.. Not sure what your budget is though. 4wheelparts online isnt bag i got my rims for 332 bucks shipped.

Thanks I'll check them out. My commute is a 60 mile round trip through back roads and minor town driving. I spend about 90% on road with light off-road when helping friends or family. I live in town and most of the **** I drive through is snow. Where I live they don't really plow much and there is a lot of corn fields around me so it drifts pretty bad (I occasionally have to go through snow drifts over the 30 inch tall tires I currently have).

Back