Trailmaster 4" Kit for Explorer 98 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster 4" Kit for Explorer 98

jacm

Reaction score
Can I fit a 35x12.5x16 Super Swampers tires (maybe a 36x12.5x16) on a Explorer 98 XLT 4x4 with a "new" Trailmaster 4" suspension kit ??. I can not find information about it.

Exist an additional body lift kit for the Explorer 98 XLT 4x4 ?

Thank´s in advanced for your support.
Regards,
jacm@isdv.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site Jacm!

I think most of the responses you will get here will be no. I think you might be able to do 35's though. The Trailmaster Explorer was running tires that are the equivalent to a 34.4 inch tire. This is relatively close to the "real" size of a 35 inch tire. Look for some of the guys who were at Truckhaven 2000 to respond to find out if the was any rubbing or near rubbing with the Trailmaster Explorer. Welcome again and happy postin'! Let us know how everything works out!

definitly not! you might be able to fit them in with a 4 inch susp and a 3 inch body, and still you would need to trim

Lift

Have you bought the lift yet?

No you will need a body lift to do this. Trust me!!!

I fyou have not bought the lift yet please see the ranger superlift kit it will give you less drive shaft problems. Take it from somebody who has been there! If you have a four door it might be better but i don't know.

Not unless you don't like your fenders, and love your sawzall. :)
My 33x12.5's rub with 4.5" (3" Body and 1.5" Torsion) and I've already done some modifying to the fenders.

jacm,

I can tell you first hand you will have problems even with 33x12.50s

Secondly, forget about Trailmaster, go with Superlift. The Superlift kit is offically made for the 98-up Ranger, but it bolts up to a 98-01 Explorer V8 or V6 no problem.

This is my 98 Explorer with 33x12.50s with 4 inches of suspension lift and 2 inches of body lift and these tires still rub at times.
Dead Link Removed

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs
-KKM Air Intake

stadx2,
You gotta be willing to give up some of that fancy body/bumper trim to run with the big dawgs. . .:)

Seriously though, I can't understand how you can rub with 6" of lift. I've only got 4.25" and only had to do minor modifying to my fender to get rid of rub.

35's ARE TOO BIG!! I have a Trailmaster lift and 2" body lift and tried 35's and they are just too big. I still get rubbing with my 33's. I would suggest using the Superlift Ranger Kit as it replaces the whole steering knuckle instead of using an extender like Trailmaster. Trailmaster uses a steering slide which will increase your turning radius.

Jefe,

BUT I JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AND I WOULD LIKE IT TO STAY PRETTY FOR A LITTLE WHILE! LOL!
But seriously though, I modified my factory running boards with a dremel tool and a blow torch(very carefully) and took out all the extra plastic that extends the fender down. So now the running board plastic is folded right up under against the bottom of the fender corner. To remove any more, would mean removing and/or bending metal.(no good)

To answer your question with a question Jefe, what wheels are you running? I'm running Eagle 589s with a 4.5" offset which I think is too much and most of the reason I am rubbing. 4Wheel Parts told me that I could'nt get a 15x10 wheel with more inset then what I have(the next size in would rub rim-to-steering knuckle). Even though theres about an inch of gap between the rim edge and the steering knuckle joint. Every inch counts.

Don't get me wrong though, I need to be turning pretty sharp AND compressing the front suspension quite a bit to get it to rub. I'm just really picky.

Hey Ray, do you know what the offset/inset on you wheels are?
Beautiful truck, by the way!

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs
-KKM Air Intake

stadx2,
I'm running BFG M/T 33x12.5's on 15x8 centerline rims. it looks like they have standard offset (3.75 I think) but I didn't buy the rims new so I don't know. I took off the rocker trim, bent in the fender well metal, and cut some plastic out of the fender well, and I only rub with some compression, and 2/3 of a full turn (right where the edge of the tire meets the body panel), but I can turn a bit more and it won't rub.

Originally posted by stadx2

Hey Ray, do you know what the offset/inset on you wheels are?
Beautiful truck, by the way!

Darren
Littleton, CO

My American Eagle AE-117's are -18mm offset.
Thanks for the compliment.

Back