Tranfer Case Fluid Type? 03 sport xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranfer Case Fluid Type? 03 sport xlt

ccm2001

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
03 sport xlt 4x4 4.0l 5r55e trans auto
Not sure what fluid to use Mercon or Mercon V
Also missing the counter balance weight. Anyone know were i can get one online possible?

Thanks CC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the XL-12, Valvoline transfer case fluid is equivalent if you can't get Motorcraft. You can also use DexMerc. Try a salvage yard for the weight. Also check the classifieds here, there are a couple members that part out multiple Explorers, and will ship the item to you.

Dex/Merc should be fine.

Thanks, Going to call ford dealer tommorow to see the price fore the fluid if not Amazon has the xl12 motorcraft 15$ a litre

Thanks, Going to call ford dealer tommorow to see the price fore the fluid if not Amazon has the xl12 motorcraft 15$ a litre

Dex/Merc will be a couple of bucks. It's all you need. It's what my owner's manual recommended. It's your money.

AAP has the XL-12 equivalent for $9.95USD per quart. I believe the DexMerc is about half that. Just don't use MercV.

And change it often like 15K miles. Those cases are notoriously hard on fluid, regardless if you use 4WD or not. Pump runs whenever the truck is in motion.

Check the vent hose while you are under there.

Back