Tranmission fluid all over the ground and burning on my exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranmission fluid all over the ground and burning on my exhaust

cyphertext69

Reaction score
City, State
Leonardtown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone...

I've been a member here for quite sometime, I kind of just lurk though.

Subject: 94 Ranger 4.0L V6 2WD with the A4LD trans.
Cause: I had a bunch of stepping stones in the bed of the truck on a warm summer day when I noticed a ton of smoke coming from the back of my truck. When I pulled over, fluid saturated the ground. I needed to get back home so I filled it and drove a mile back to the house. This happened 2 years ago. I parked it and haven't touched it since.

Time has come to start my spring project and me and buddy are going to tackle this. I am thinking it's the front main seal but now I am second guessing that it could've just been overheating. I need suggestions/thoughts on what I should do.

Thank you very much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try it again, and see if it moves now,, might have been a heat issue,, does the fluid smell burnt, or did it go brown , ??

not sure what you meant by go brown....

the fluid smelled burnt because it was smoking off the exhaust.

the fluid that will be on the dipstick would smell like it was burnt too , and it would have possibly changed color too

You don't want to start it until you check the fluid level, if it's at all onto the dipstick, then warm it up and check in the normal manner before trying to move it. Check the obvious things first, like a leaking line to the radiator. Even that could spray it onto the exhaust.

You might even clean everything well before you start so it will be easier to spot the leak if it does start dripping again.

Corkey - I checked the dipstick and there isn't any fluid on it at all...I think it all blew out.

Bisjoe - I should add fluid before I start it right? I will ensure everything is wiped down before I start it.

After adding new fluid and starting - Will there still be a smell of burnt trans fluid after I start it and check the fluid? Also, will it be brown after it mixes with whatever is left in the tranny?

added fluid and it was good to go. how long do you think this will be a fix for? Will it last forever or should I have it re-built?

i would say if it is working, it will be okay for a bit, but don't leave it like that , i would have a good trusted trans shop drop the pan ,and put in a new filter and new fluid,

i do not mean go to one of those jiffy places and have a flush done,, do it right ,

a good shop will drop the pan , put in a new filter,and replace the fluid with all new stuff,

Back