trannies and rear ends for horsepower? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trannies and rear ends for horsepower?

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
ok here are my questions. i am looking into building horsepower in the 350-400hp range. and getting as much of that to the ground as possible. i am planning on the 347 streetfighter stroker engine and a AODE tranny with a firm shift kit too. what i want to know is should i have anything more done to the rear end to strengthen it for the added horsies or will it do. right now i have a 3.55 gear ratio in my 2000 V-8 2wd X. what tranny comes with this one stock? if i was to order an AODE tranny would there be anything else besides that to tell them? meaning will the bolt pattern and all line up to a 302 block in the 347 motor? what could i expect the price to be for that AODE tranny? i saw on the speedfreak webpage it goes for about $2800 but i dont think that would include a core charge. so how much if i turned in my old tranny to save a little. thanks for any help given.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is only ONE type of transmission that came behind a V8 5.0L Explorer. Your transmission is an Electronic AODE transmission........and to make it even better, your transmission is installed with a wide gear ratio set which ford calls a 4R70W transmission. YOUR 4R70W is the same thing as an AODE-W. Your transmission is also equipped with an auto unlocking torque converter that allows your torque converter to continue the torque multiplying effect in third and fourth gear. (something an AOD can't do) The 4R70W that Ford has put behind your truck is also installed in the F-150, Mustang, Expedition, Crown Vic, etc, etc. It's a good transmission, and there are aftermarket products for it.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck
Al

hey asp

hey thanks for the info. in your opinion since my explorer only has 41000 miles on it would i need to get a rebuilt AODE tranny to handle this bigger horsepower? i am planning in getting a shift kit no matter what to ensure better and firmer shifts but i wanted to make sure this tranny would handle it. i heard that Bill the guy who owns"troll" has an AODE tranny with shift kit in his. and i was wondering if you knew of any difference between his and the stock AODE in my x right now? also would the stock axle be able to handle as much power as i want? or what recommendations would be for that? any kind of different bearings or anything?

speaking of bearings

i already invested in those newfangled muffler bearings and let me tell ya superchargers aint got nuthin on them little doohickeys. mustv given me at least 800+ horsepower alone just like the package said!!! now all i got to save for is my new blinker fluid and i am set. lol.

the 4R70W in your X right now will hold 350-400hp fine. get a good shift kit, use synth fluid, and add the biggest cooler in-line with the stock cooler, that you can find. spend the tranny $$$ on the motor. the 4R70W has a lower 1st gear than AOD, and i believe that Troll went with AOD because, at the time, he had to change to Mustang computer cuz the stock ignition would not rev high. changing to the 'stang computer would mean no ex. computer to run the tranny. this isnt a problem now, as there are programs out there to burn custom chips to get whatever you want out of ex computers/ignitions.

Your 4R70W is a great transmission, it is behind lots of high HP mustangs and F-150's You won't need a rebuild till 100K+. In the mean time, check all the TSB's and fix the piston problems and get a shift kit. Getting an AOD would be a MAJOR step down in shift performance and in reliability. AOD's have smaller internal parts and are NOT wide ratio. Even if you put a wide ratio gear set in it from an AODE-W (4R70W) you still are stuck with the 3-OD shift Hunt, and many other driveability factors. The AOD will not shift or drive anything like your current transmission.
An AOD is extremely different than a 4R70W
-shifts are mechanically controlled
-Line pressure is controlled by a TV cable
-The torque converter is locked in 3rd and fourth
-THe AOD race transmissions have the locking function removed, causing the torque converter to spin freely in 4 gears.

Back