• Register Today It's free!

Tranny dipstick issue

elgoathead

Reaction score
City, State
Dundas MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV 4WD
When I serviced the tranny I filled it to the bottom "hole" on the dipstick. Later, when things were warmed up I rechecked: the fluid level was about 3 inches above the crosshatch area. So, I removed enough fluid to bring it down to the top of the crosshatch. The next morning I checked it cold again, with no fluid showing on the dipstick whatsoever. I've left it that way believing that the warm level is more important than the cold level. The tranny works OK both ways.

Fluid level checks are done on a level surface idling in park. It does not run overly hot and no foaming is noted on the dipstick.

What do you make of this?

PS: Application is a '96 Exploder 4.0 OHV 4WD

before checking, do you run the shift lever through each gear? other than that, you seem to be checking it correctly. i've never encounted this problem, but i never check it cold, i figure there's no point.

Yup, I run it thru each gear. Since it is working OK the way it is, I'll not lose any sleep over it. It just seems odd, as I've serviced automatics dozens of times and have never seen such a drastic difference in fluid level 'tween cold and warm.

Back