• Register Today It's free!

Tranny flush and secondary filter

mkd8919

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4
I've been trying to catch up all on the preventive maintenance on my explorer and after reading on here the next thing in line is the tranny. As far as I know the tranny oil/ filter has never been changed. My family got the explorer from my grandma with 35-40k. It hasn’t been changed since we got it and we don’t believe she ever had it changed. I have been planning on changing the tranny filter and doing a full DIY flush. I’m also planning on adding a secondary tranny filter at the same time. I’m wondering if anyone can give me any advice since this transmission has never had anything changed. I’ve read bits and pieces saying that the new fluid will loosen up all sorts of deposits and I might need to do another change after a few hundred miles? Is this still the case with a secondary filter? I would been fine changing the secondary filter after a few hundred and I’d also be okay with dropping the pan and changing the tranny filter after a little while, I just don’t know if I can afford to do two complete flushes within a few hundred miles of each other.

Also, I was looking for some updated information on which transmission filter to use, and which secondary tranny filter kit people are using now. There was a few threads on here recommending Fram, since it seemed to be the same as OEM. However I don’t seem to be able to find a Fram filter kit anywhere around me. Does anyone have any other brand recommendations, or know if an online place that sells Fram? Does it really matter if I'll be adding the secondary filter?

I’ve read through a few of the secondary tranny filter threads, and it seems like most of the links are dead. The kit for $28 from summit is gone, and they now recommend a kit that comes with less stuff (no hoses) and costs $48! Does anyone have any recommendations? I noticed a lot of people were installing tranny temp sensors on their secondary filters. I realize this isn’t optimal, but I was thinking any gauge would be better than none. I was also thinking I could always move the temp gauge to the pan later on. However, I don’t think I want to get the whole kit right now (secondary filter kit with temp sensor and gauge) Maybe I am incorrect, but it seems like people were getting just the remote filter kit, and then adding a temp sensor and gauge later on. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't flush. If you're not having any issues, and not doing anything like towing or off-roading, you may not even need the secondary filter unless your heart is set on it. Back to the flushing part. I would simply change the fluid and filter, and replace the transmission pan gasket. Flushing can cause problems on older transmissions that you are aiming to prevent. Clean up the pan and any debris that could interfere with the gasket in the process to prevent leaks. Those are my tips. :)

To run a 2ndary trans filter you just need a remote oil filter adapter...

Here is a sub $20 one.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-1028?seid=srese1&gclid=CInwxPjvw8ACFZKBfgodQC4AIA

As for a Filter, I prefer the Wix oil filters and I use them for oil and transmission on both the Explorer and the Tow Rig (Van). Even the Mustang runs Wix (just a different # since its metric).

For hoses, you just need 300 psi rubber hose. Personally, I run the filter before the coolers but that personal preferrence.

As for temp gauge, I install mine into the pan and use the sending unit as a drain plug too. I want to know the temp of the fluid in the pan as that is the fluid that will be running through the trans.

When you cut the factory hard lines (as they go to the radiator heat exchanger) make sure you remove any burrs and then double up on the hose clamps so it doesn't come off..

Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction.

~Mark

Edit: I almost forgot. Normally, the filter in the pan is really just a screen. There is microfelt version but it has been so long since I've looked into an a4ld I can't remember what you need to ask/look for when buying the filter to get the microfiber (better) filter.

x2 on what Maniak said, I used that remote oil filter adapter on mine (see my signature for pics) and it works great.

I installed my spin-on filter between the radiator tank and auxiliary cooler so I didn't have to cut any hard lines. There's no disadvantage to this. ATF is thinner than motor oil and will flow plenty well through the oil filter, even when cold. I like my setup in case I decide to ram something and break the adapter, I can always jump the cooling lines back with a flathead screwdriver to bypass the spin-on filter and get back on the road.

My novice suggestion to you would be to get the spin-on filter (with magnets attached), adapter and hose (NAPA calls it 3/8" push-lock hose) and run that for maybe 500-1,000 miles. While doing that, spin off the filter every couple hundred, drain it out and re-fill with fresh ATF. This will ween in some fresh fluid and if the new detergents knock off any crud, it will end up in your spin-on filter. After the 500-1,000 miles, drop the pan and replace the internal filter. Fill it up with fresh fluid (maybe empty the spin-on too) and drive. By this time, over half your fluid should be changed and a lot of debris should be cleaned out. Maybe another 1-2,000 miles you could do a flush without too much risk?

You don't need to change the spin-on filter very often. After 700 miles, mine hardly had any particulate in it, most of which was attracted by the magnets.

Here's my thread if you want to read up more:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406587

Please note though, I'm not a certified mechanic. Hell, I'm not even a mechanic. I'm just a guy that likes to DIY and research, this is what I've come up with for my personal rig.

I run one of these inline filters going into the tranny from the cooler there about $15.00.

m7RkW2i_qeICJ1nzNveZnFA.jpg

Pan drop with filter vs. full service flush is one of the most highly debated subjects on this forum, especially high mileage vehicles that have never been serviced. Here's a well written article that explains the difference. As quoted. if you decide to flush, avoid machines that use pressure to flush rather than the vehicles own transmission pump.
Some service centers use machines that add additional force to blast fluid and/or cleaning solution through the system. This is NEVER a good idea as this can damage seals and/or lodge sludge in places it shouldn’t be as mentioned above.

http://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/what-is-a-transmission-flush/

If your car is a 4X4 I have an extra transmission filter, gasket and o-rings. PM me if you want them.

I run one of these inline filters going into the tranny from the cooler there about $15.00.

m7RkW2i_qeICJ1nzNveZnFA.jpg

While there's nothing wrong with those and a lot of people like them, I still prefer my spin-on filter. It's more secure, bolted to the frame. It holds extra fluid that can be exchanged. It's more easily and cheaply replaced. It has much more surface area for flow and long-life. With that aside, I'm not sure of the micron ratings, that might be something to look into.

swshawaii, that was a good article, thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for all the help guys. I’ve changed tranny fluid before, but not on anything that had been left this long before. I guess my thinking was every day with this old fluid is causing extra wear and tear, and I should try and change as much off it as possible to stop any extra damage now. I’m starting to realize that the fluid is less of a concern, and the greater concern is everything thing that will “break loose” when I start introducing in new fluid. I’m thinking of going the route natenkiki2004 suggested by adding a secondary filter, and then gradually changing the fluid out. I do plan on using the explorer to tow my motorcycle so it will be nice to have the extra protection. I hadn’t looked at it before because I was scared of what I’d find, but I checked the fluid yesterday and it color listed as “okay” in the article posted by swshawaii. No longer red, but still light brown. I’m planning on installing between the radiator and the aux cooler as well so I don’t have to cut the hard lines.

Oh and for the record, I wasn't planning on using a flush machine or taking it somewhere to have it flushed. I was planning on doing the DIY method I found on here, where you drop the pan, changed the filter, refill, pull the lines off the aux cooler, and then start it long enough to pump out a quart, pour in a quart, pump a quart, etc until the fluid looks clean.

Hey everyone. I ordered my remote filter adapter and plan on installing it this weekend. I ended up going with the Trans-Dapt 1028 adapter which I ordered from Amazon since I get free 2 day shipping. It looks like both the adapter and the radiator / aux cooler use 3/8 line so I'm good there. My main question at this point is what fluid to use? My understanding is that it is very hard to find orginal Mercon now, and everyone uses Mercon V. Will it be okay to slowly introduce the Mercon V by adding a filter full at a time?

You posted the right things BUT, just stop by your local Home Depot or even an Ace hardware.

Both places will have it.. I know ACE hardware will for sure as I just had to get one of those adapters this last week.

~Mark

That's exactly what I used but I got mine from the local auto parts store.

Thanks for the TSB, swshawaii. I hadn't seen that one which specifically outlines which years/models can use which fluid. I wonder if anyone's flushed their fluid out with Mercon V. I wouldn't think it would be advisable to switch unless it was completely flushed.

Back