• Register Today It's free!

Tranny flush?

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 250k miles
Hey my mom has been debating a tranny flush. She has a '93 XLT with the A4LD.

227k miles today, not sure if it's the origanal tranny but the things shifts kinda jerky. Not bad at all though, other than that it's perfect.

Should we have the tranny flushed and new fluid added? I said no becuase of the age. The fluid is still clean and doesn't smell burnt.

What should we do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say if it is not broke dont fix it. I have heard nothing but bad things about tranny flushes with that many miles. I have 190,000 and decided against the tranny flush.

i'm flushen my tranny tommrow but it was just rebuilt a few years ago, but seince my transmission fluid is lookin more like motor oil i think it all needs to be repaced, no one happens to know why it could be lookin this yellowish color, any one on here know? :navajo:

Can I replace the filter myself in the driveway?

What do I need to do to change the fluid? I know it's 14 quarts, thats alot.

I mean it's pink and clean whenever I check it and it never slips. Just seems to shift a little hard. So how hard would it be to change the filter and fluid myself?

Could this kill the tranny?

All you have to do is drop the pan, and replace the filter, and gasket. Some gaskets require paste. Rubber gaskets should not get any paste. They will leak. Don't overtighten the pan bolts, or the filter bolt. A torque wrench is recommended. A Motorcraft, or Fram Microfelt filter is better than the standard screen.

Back