Tranny Leak

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I had my A4LD rebuilt in September. Last month I noticed when I had my oil changed it was leaking tranny fluid from these 2 bolts on the side of the tranny. I took it back to the tranny guy, & he said its not leaking it's "crying"??, He replaced a seal & said it was fixed. Well I noticed again it's leaking from the same place. Here's a pic...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/166437338/2126492480045208346crWqlf
I circled the 2 bolts, & the linkage where's it dripping onto.
What are these 2 bolts? Could it be overfilled & causing a problem? I do drive hard(high rpm, high speed etc) Am I blowing a seal or something? This tranny guy is supposed to be good, he was recommened by several people to me. I'm giving it back this week, but I'd like some info to give him.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not see any circles, but from the pic I assume you are looking at the square headed bolts... these are the band adjustment bolts. Tell him to use NEW... brand new... bolts and to lube them with vaseline or something before he puts them on. Sounds like they reused old nuts without the seals. I did a thread on this...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155669

If this is where you are leaking, that is the problem. Always use new nuts and be sure and lube them before installing!

View the pic in full size. But yeah I guess that's those.

I'm still getting some seepage from the band adjustment bolts. The tranny guy replaced the nuts with new ones that had new seals. It is less then it was but still seeps.
Any suggestions on how to fix it? Since the tranny guy had it 2 times already & it still is a problem I have little faith in the guy. It wasn't leaking a drop untill it was rebuilt. Does the guy need to pull it out & fix it from inside?
Would it be safe to drive it on a 3K mile summer road trip like this?
Thanks

bump, for some reason it didnt bump before.

I'm not sure why those would leak with new seals on the nuts. If the rate of leakage isn't bad such that you lose a quart of fluid in say 300 miles.... you can drive it and make checking the tranny fluid level something you do at each gas change. In other words so long as the tranny fluid doesn't get too low, the leak is not hurting anything, it is not leaking pressure from a hydraulic circuit for example.

Oh, and...There is nothing to "fix" inside.

If I remember correctly the band adjuster screw goes through to a square piece of metal with a V cut out of it, and that presses against something that tightens the bands. (i have a torn down A4ld in my garage, been that way for quite some time now. A failed attempt at learning auto tranny rebuilding) I think you just need a new tranny guy

I would suggest that you thoroughly clean any ATF off of your transmission, and check it after a few days. That will tell you exactly where the leak is coming from. I think it might be leaking from the rear overfill opening on the top rear of the case. If fluid drips down, it may give the appearance that the leak is coming from somewhere else, and not from the starting point of the leak.

Back