Tranny quit please help

spiper

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
Tranny quit please help Update

I gotta 91XLT 5 speed manual tranny. Everything was fine, I turned a corner and my tranny quit. I cant shift into any gear, there is a horrible grinding noise when you let off the clutch. Tried to pull it home with a pickup and chain, but couldnt due to it seems like it is almost in gear, yes it was in neutral, only way to pull it was to lift it up from the rear and tow it backwards. Any body know what to check?:frustrate :fire: :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you blew the rear end...not the tranny... by buddies truck was like that when we toasted his bronco 9"

All of the grinding noise seems to come from the front of the truck almost right under the stick. I can't shift into any gear either so I dont think its the rear end.

Seen that happen with older tracktors. Sometimes the sliding gears slip past their stops and need to be manually freed. Sounds like time for a rebuild. rc

Does this sound maybe like just a transfer case problem to any body?

Some one told me this is most likely the chain in the t-case is busted, what do the rest of you think? I want to be armed with as much info as possible before I tow it to the shop. Thanks:(

Any ideas today? I gotta take it to the shop today, the weather is calling for a chance of HAIL today and I dont want to leave her in the driveway tonite.

This is what happened. Bearing in the t-case went bad, caused the gears in the t-case to stack up, there is no chain, busted the output shaft in half and screwed up some of the gears in the tranny. Unfortunately both the t-case and tranny need to be replaced.:(

Back