Trans gear indicator not displaying properly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans gear indicator not displaying properly

jldennistx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
My vehicle has 140K on it as just recently as I noticed that the the trans indicator was not displaying the gear that the vehicle is in properly. For example, instead of the indicator showing P when in park, it's shifted to R. This then continues down to all the other gears - when I'm in reverse the indicator shows N, when in N it shows D, and so forth.

Good thing is that I hasn't noticed any performance issue, but I'm uncertain if there's an easy way to fix this, or if this is a clear indication of a bigger trans issue. Welcome any feedback on the topic. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or it could just be the thumbwheel that aligns the red marker on your dash with the "P R N D 2 1" on the dash.

Look directly under the steering column for a thumbwheel less than 1" in diameter. Mine is black held by a white bracket. Laying with your head right about where the brake pedal is and look directly towards the rear but up. It will have a thin black cable going in one end (drivers side) and a brown wire coming out the other end (pass side). Just move the wheel in the direction you need to have the red indicator line up with the gear.

I have a great picture but can't post (I guess because I'm a first time poster this this forum :(

cable not broken

gbasplen, only elite (paid) members can directly post up to 6 photos per post. Nonpaying members must post their photos somewhere else and then include a link to them in their forum posts.

When the gear selected indicator cable breaks (like mine did) the indicator will always point to the right of "1" because of a coil spring.
PRNDL1.jpg

If the spring in the indicato breaks then the indicator will probably be correct in Park but more off as you shift away from Park towards 1. Normally the adjuster mount retaining screws under the instrument console come loose which is easier to access as explained in the links posted by swshawaii. The adjuster also breaks: shift drive selector indicator

If the indicator moves but just points at the wrong letter its probably out of adjustment, like gbasplen said above.

You have to remove the trim under the steering wheel but then there's a thumbwheel you can turn to adjust it.

Back