Trans help

NewAgeCustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport 4wd
Hello all,

Explorer transmission blew a couple weeks back and has been sitting. We finally pulled the transfer case and got the transmission removed. We ordered a rebuild kit for the transmission and as we speak the transmission is completely broken down right now, but since we've been going through the trans and replacing clutch plates and all new o rings we are starting to think the trans didn't go, so I'm asking for a few ideas to what y'all think it could be. My wife said while she was driving the x home it started to feel like it was surging when she was on the highway. She got off the highway and it finally stopped going into any gear. When you try to shift it it doesn't go into a single gear and when you go to shift it into park it grinds. If any advice can be givin it would help out so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How am I posting in the wrong forum? And I am following that diagram really close. I'm having a problem putting the intermediate shift band back in and that diagram doesn't have a follow through with that one. And the x I have is heavily motified and everything going into the trans and transfer case are getting a lot of aftermarket parts like quick shift kit and all kind of performance upgrades.

How am I posting in the wrong forum? And I am following that diagram really close. I'm having a problem putting the intermediate shift band back in and that diagram doesn't have a follow through with that one. And the x I have is heavily motified and everything going into the trans and transfer case are getting a lot of aftermarket parts like quick shift kit and all kind of performance upgrades.

We like to keep to our groups, and we don't like change, lol. but to be honest with all the changes Ford has done over the years to the Explorers it helps a lot if you place you thread in the correct section. BUT, if you are specifically rebuilding only a transmission you may get more luck in that part of the forum. I tried venturing over to the first gen part of the forum, it was like a different world, lol.

Well I feel like a special kid. I didn't notice that there was more forums within the other forums I've only used the mortified section to do most of my work on this forum. Damn i feel dumb sorry about that and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Back