Trans shifting high rpms from 1st to 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans shifting high rpms from 1st to 2nd

AlexSmith

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4WD
1st post. I bought a 2004 Explorer XLT yesterday in amazing condition other than the transmission and transfer case. The truck has a couple of problems. When taking off from a stop, it does not want to shift out of first below 4,000 rpms and the remainder of the gears shift fine. Sometimes it has a O/D and sometimes the light comes on and it doesnt. Also, the 4x4 light comes on occasionally and it sounds like the 4x4 is engaged. I disconnected the brown wire, and honestly dont care if the 4x4 portion ever works again. My question is........Is this a sign of a bad transmission, or is there a solenoid that may be bad, or possibly low on fluid? $1200 for a beautiful black Explorer with new tires.....Even if worst came to worst, I think I did good on buying it. Thank you for any feedback.

take it to autozone and check the codes for the tranny. definitely change the tranny fluid and filter. search the forum and you'll find hundreds of threads with the same problem with multiple fixes to the problem depending on the severity of it.

I've got the same problem. It just started today. I was going down a gravel road and the O/D light started flashing. then the tranny would only shift from 1st to 2nd if I revved it up to 4k rpms and let off the gas. I unhooked the battery and the O/D light went off but it still shifts bad. I've done some research that it could be a speed sensor or the valve body gasket in the tranny (dealer only item ugh). I'm hoping changing the fluid and checking connections helps...we'll see. If I figure it out I'll post the fix on here.

I have a small update to this...I had it put on a scanner and because my truck is a late 1995, it has OBD I pcm. theres no codes that come up. I tried KOEO and KOER and no go...just a bad DPFE which I already knew about. my next step is to check wiring and test the solenoids. I'll keep this updated as I go along....

Back