Trans Temp gauge install on a 1994 explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Temp gauge install on a 1994 explorer.

The tubing is not a good place for a sensor- I would put it in the pan.

Mechanical gauges use a capilary tube - thats the copper tube with the spiral steel wrap to protect it.

That tee is going to cause problems down the line Im afraid.

Good Luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i fixed the leak at the sensor, how ever noone has awnsered my question on the trans cooler lnes...which one is which? but the reason for using the T connection was in the event i used the pan and went off road, what do you think would happen if i caught a rock and broke off the sensor? bye bye trans fluid...seeing as how the trans has NO skid plate covering most of it...i figure this might be a better way to do it.

Cooler lines- the upper into the rad is from the trans, lower it to the trans.

Put the sender in the side of the pan, shouldnt have a problem with it being pulled off. If its a big worry carry a plug the same size as the sender fiotting.

Also nothe rplace to take temps is the pressure test pot on the driverside- right above, and rear of the linkage. But its only a 1/4 NPT so the mech gauge may not fit. the electric senders should- although I havent tried it. I have my sender in the aux filter housing.

Instal a remote tranny filter and there is a location to mount the sensor.

Why did you go with a mech instrument?

Price...but looking closely at the trans cooler, i see 2 lines commin out in front of radiator behind grille, and two going into the radiator, one s hogh up the other is near bottom of rad. why would there be 2 lines in and 2 lines out for trans fluid? not that i dont believ you guys but...how and why is it set up like this?

Originally posted by Pheonixx77
Price...but looking closely at the trans cooler, i see 2 lines commin out in front of radiator behind grille, and two going into the radiator, one s hogh up the other is near bottom of rad. why would there be 2 lines in and 2 lines out for trans fluid?
...how and why is it set up like this?
There is a cooler inside the vehicle radiator. The fluid is pumped from the transmission through a steel line to the fitting at the top of the vehicle radiator. The fluid then exits the vehicle radiator through the fitting/steel line at the bottom of it. Under the radiator core support, that steel line is joined to a flexible rubber hose that goes from there to one side of the auxiliary transmission cooler. It exits the auxiliary transmission cooler through a rubber hose that joins a third steel line (again, underneath the core support), which takes the doubly-cooled fluid back to the transmission.

Like this

Attachments

• tranny flow jpeg.jpg
    tranny flow jpeg.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 142

thanks but i am still confused, maybe i was not clear enough about what i am confused on....
2 lines connected to radiator...one on top one at bottom of radiator on left side (drivers)...two lines comming off of aux trans cooler(pass side), rubber hose like you said connecting to steel line going into trans. 4 lines total! noit just two like in your diagram if that was the case it would be easy...but i have 2 going in and 2 going out...whats up with that?

Originally posted by Pheonixx77
thanks but i am still confused, maybe i was not clear enough about what i am confused on....
2 lines connected to radiator...one on top one at bottom of radiator on left side (drivers)...two lines comming off of aux trans cooler(pass side), rubber hose like you said connecting to steel line going into trans. 4 lines total! noit just two like in your diagram if that was the case it would be easy...but i have 2 going in and 2 going out...whats up with that?

You are making this hard by not tracing your lines.
Look at the diagram again- reread everyones response. Then go look out- slide yourself under the vehicle and see where the lines go. Dont just look at the connections, look at the path of the lines and hoses. Example- one of the hoses comming off the aux cooler goes to a metal tube which goes to ??? trans or radiator- you are making an assumption it heads back to the trans - LOOK CAREFULLY.

As said before the cooling circuit is trans to radiator cooler to aux cooler to trans.

Back