• Register Today It's free!

Transmission concern

Jag

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Sport
Sometimes under moderately hard acceleration, my transmission feels like something is trying to engage and disengage. I'm wondering if it's the transfer case, and if it is, what's causing it. Under normal driving conditions, it doesn't occur.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the Auto 4x4 kicking in.

I've noticed this too and attributed it to the auto 4x4 also. This is on my 2002 XLS.

Jag said:
Sometimes under moderately hard acceleration, my transmission feels like something is trying to engage and disengage. I'm wondering if it's the transfer case, and if it is, what's causing it. Under normal driving conditions, it doesn't occur.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
yea my 02 xlt did this also, its the auto 4x4 kicking in and out. I put a toggle switch on the brown wire in the passenger side sill plate or whatever you call it, so now its in 2 wd till i flick the switch. great for doing burnouts!!

Just curious. What "tells" the transfer case to engage when in AUTO mode?

Jag said:

I believe sensors detect slippage of the rear tires.

Speed sensors determine if wheels are slipping and engage the front wheels as needed. Under hard acceleration from a stop the truck will go into 4x4. If your hearing or feeling something maybe your shift motor on the transfer case is the problem.Or maybe the transfer case itself is the problem. My 4x4 control shift module was recently changed when the truck would engage erratically into 4x4.

Jag said:

The Torque On Demand relay. It monitors the wheel speeds sensors and and TPS. I've felt the clunking on mine from day one (June 2nd, 1998) and it's always alarmed me, but has yet to fail on me.

-Joe

if you put the switch in, it eliminates the clunking,maybe helps on wear and tear :)

Indeed. I just did it last month. I still drive around in auto about half the time though.

-Joe

Back