Transmission Delayed Engagement/OD Light Flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Delayed Engagement/OD Light Flashing

swep1

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
For some time now, I've had a delayed engagement on my '96 Eddie Bauer shifting into drive when the transmission is cold. I've had a transmission guy take a look at it and was told that likely I have some worn transmission bearings and likely a small pressure leak. When the transmission warms up thorougly, there is no problem at all and no problem shifting into reverse either. Tonight, I was trying to coax the transmission into drive when cold by shifting back and forth between reverse and drive and backing up and pulling forward a few feet at a time. After several cycles of this, I noticed that the transmission seemed to clunk a bit more between shifts and the OD light was flashing. I let the Explorer sit for a few minutes and then fired it back up, the light was off and the shifts were smooth again. I have an OBDII scanner and no codes are showing (Would OD light codes show with the OBDII scanner?). I've read the posts in the archives here about the possibility that it could be a torque converter locking up or that it could, in the worst case scenario, mean that the transmission is finally shot, but I'm curious to know if the torque converter could lock up with repeated shifts in a fairly rapid sequence, especially with a delayed engagment issue and it never really clicking into drive before I shifted back to reverse. The transmssion guys say that I could drive it on worn bearings for another 100,000 miles and by babying it and letting it warm up before taking off that I could save myself some money having to rebuild a transmission, but I thought I would defer to you folks that have much more experience with this particular vehicle. Any ideas or suggestions?

I believe only the higher end OBDII scanners can read tranmission & abs codes.

Back