Transmission Fluid Level Reading Correctly?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid Level Reading Correctly??

grey626

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ranger 2.3 2wd
Hello..

First post. Great forum! Picked up a 1997 Ranger 2.3 w/ 26,000 miles last year and decided last weekend to drop the transmission pan, replace the filter, and do a flush through the cooling lines as it had the original fluid still in it. Everything went pretty well but when I refilled it with fluid I can't seem to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. I added approximately what I took out and drove through the gears a bit to circulate the new fluid and checked while in park at idle. The dipstick was dry. It was late so I let it sit overnight and in the morning the "cold" level was at the top of the two dots at the bottom of the dipstick..right where it should be. I drove a little bit and the trans was slipping so I rechecked the hot level and again it was dry. Added about another quart and it finally showed up on the dipstick at the bottom of the crosshatch area. Figured I was good to go..no slipping and shifts fine. Would keep an eye on it throughout the week to see if I needed to add more. Continued to check it hot and in idle and got it to the middle of the crosshatched area.

However when it sat this past weekend for at least 36 hours the cold reading was an way above the crosshatch area..it was right where the twist is in the dipstick in the DO NOT ADD areameaning it is too full???? It has been driven enough to get the fluid circulated through all the gears and cooling lines. I have no clue as to what is going on. Hoping someone can give some advise....

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should only check when hot in park and at idle. Was engine running when you checked it cold? If the engine wasn't running it will show very high.

I thought it was supposed to be checked cold without the engine running after it sat for a while (overnight)?? Is this incorrect?

Thanks

Even when checking the level cold the engine is still supposed to be running. Without the engine running the torque converter will partly empty and give an incorrect reading.

The correct reading is taken with the trans fluid hot, in park and the engine at idle. What james909 said is correct.

I am confused because the manual states "When the vehicle has not been driven and outside temperature is above 50 F (10 C) the fluid level should be between the holes on the dipstick." Makes it seem like the engine should not be running.

Thanks for the replies

Some dip sticks have it stamped on them, my 1999 explorer does, my manual says the same thing also, as far as I know all automatics ford, chevy or other are checked hot with the engine at idle.

Dipstick is stamped to check hot idle. Current hot level is at the bottom of the crosshatch. I was confused as to the cold reading which is extremely high when the engine is not on. I am guessing if i check cold right after I start it up in the morning it should be within the two dots. I will do that tomorrow and post back.

Thank you!

Yup...Kept adding and now all is good. I think I would have been fine if that blurb about the cold reading was not there...DUH.

Thanks all....

Back