Transmission I-D & Problem Solving, 101 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission I-D & Problem Solving, 101

FORDBOYpete

Reaction score
City, State
East Central Florida USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Aerostar XLTN 4.0 RWD
From time to time some things just do not go right. Such is life for us all. I've a '95 Aero XLTN, rear wheel drive (RWD) w/ 4.0L Cologne V6 & Bordeaux Built A4LD-A/T. It had over 240K miles on it when it started to develop transmission problems. The Aero pulls my 16ft 2 axle flatbed tag trailer. I've weighed 14,000 lbs or more fully loaded. I've run east coast from Florida to N.Y. Area & back with it. It's no surprise it needs a fresh transmission. I did flush it every 20K miles, clean or replace the filter & keep cooler lines cooling by adding a air flow cooled cooler from a Motor Home on the return side. We going to be talking about two styles of A4LD transmissions. AWD is what the All Wheel Drive unit which is 4wheel drive of varying percentages is called & known as. The other style A4LD is known as RWD or Rear Wheel Drive which is a 2 wheel drive using only the rear axle & wheels.

I had a pristine A4LD transmission from a low mileage '95 Aerostar with with a badly rotted cargo area floor & rusted out /missing rockerpanels. I removed the Transfer case from it & sent transmission to a "shop" with the A4LD from my RWD Aerostar, to get my RWD extension housing & output shaft installed in the previously AWD A4LD Unit thus making it into a RWD. It should have worked fine. However something went wrong during re-assembly so the unit I picked up & reinstalled in my Aero was bad from the get-go.

Symptom was It slip shifted out of high gear, direct, then would "seek" OD but not shift into it. Or else it would just upshift normally. So the shop added some magic stuff from a can & added a new throttle position switch. I didn't like those two solutions. I do not believe magic stuff in cans, bottles or tubes are any sort of repair. I also know altho TPS controls performance functions of ECU or PCM, it doesn't control shift sequencing. Other factors control shift sequencing. Infact mostly pressures & speeds affect shifting.

Within 75 or so miles of initial repair and only several miles after Magic stuff & pricey unneccessary TPS, reverse began to fail then disappear by developing a "chatter" first, then not engaging at all. When I drained ATF to pull unit out to send it back to the rebuilder, ATF had a metallic cast or appearance to it.
Not a good sign, plus my newly remanufactured torque converter has been ingesting the same metallic looking ATF for who knows how long?

I delivered faulty unit back to rebuilder, then waiting began. I was supposed to get my unit back last Saturday. . . . Not yet. I'm patient, but not stupid. I also try to be fair, but there's a limit to everything. I found a vehicle with a transmission virtually the same. There are several years & models & although they are all the "A4LD" transmission they are not all the same.

First they need to be same size engine as vehicle they are going into. It's not possible to put a 3.0L A4LD on a 4.0L or vice-a-versa or on other engines like a 2.3L or 3.8L.

Second years that interchange are also limited. A parts manual may say 1985thru 1995, but they are not all the same. 1985 had EEC IV based ECU & speed density, 1988 had EEC IV with SEFI, & 1993 to 95 had EEC IV with OBD I while 1996 & 97 came with EEC IV PCM & OBD II. All are different control modules. A4LD transmissions have different connectors & numbers or style/ type of pins in those connectors and so forth.

Third all models using A4LD Bordeaux A/Ts do not have the same year breaks. For example the A4LD from a 1991- 1994 Explorer or Ranger will work in other models such as an Aerostar from 1993 thru 1995. But it will not work in a 1991or 1992 Aerostar. Also in here is model year & build date of vehicles. A 1993 can be built anytime after July 1992 by FoMoCo. There are TSB's, upgrades, modifications and so on, that happen. Even recalls that took place or parts which have been changed may make a difference.

Then we have "AWD" and "RWD" units which obviously do not interchange without some work switching parts and so forth. So it's not an easy thing for a DIY-er or novice to get through, but good news is every once in a while, it does happen. I've been discussing this subject with Brooklyn Bay, because I just happened to "stumble" onto a '93 exploder with a Factory rebuilt A4LD and it's a RWD Vehicle. According to an interchange list this transmission will fit right into my Aerostar because it os a 4.0L version, between 1991 -1994 range of years. Everything looks to be the same, but for 1 small detail.

Ford Exploders in 1993 had their speed sensing via cable from output shaft of the transmission. But Aerostars with RABS have an ESS in rear end and do not use a cable & gear deal. Whatdid I just say???

Aerostars have Rear Antiskid Braking Systems so they placed an Electric Speed Sensor in rear differential thus Aerostars do NOT use a speedometer cable. However, linkage, electronic harness Plugs, and all will interchange it appears to me. All I must do is plug the hole & keep the ATF inside their so it can get burned off as a matter of due course. . . .

I believe I am lucky with this find as the price is great. A4LD is shiny clean the fluid is Kool Aid Red & crystal clear. It also is sweet and not burnt or "hurt"
at all. I will get it this weekend or early next week if I still can. I will also get the speedometer cable end & clamp to fill the hole becausae of where my ESS is located. With this advantage I can have my sorely missed, well liked, 95 Aerostar XLTN 2+2 truck "Back on the Road Again" jus' like Willie & Waylon.

CIAO Y'all

I'll let you know how it turns out

FBp:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Exploder Unit is in and running well. I had to use an Aerostar Shifter/Kickdown cable mounting bracket instead of an Exploder. I also had to swap both manual control levers in mid-case for Shifter Detent & Throttle Valve (kick down) control. Other than that an Exploder A4LD is a bolt in deal. 91-93 Exploder works in a 91-95 Aerostar from all indications & results.

Pre 91 and post 93 are not interchangeable units! And the interchange into a post 95 Aerostar is precluded by OBD II programming in 96 & 97 Aero models. Electronic controls plug is an entirely different Socket & Pin arrangement, plus the internal solenoids & mechanisms are incompatable with earlier 91-95 OBD I equipped vehicles.

I did learn that a 4R44E Torque Converter is a virtual Swap-Fit improvement and I strongly reccomend anybody R&Ring their A4LD do that "upgrade" as it's a stronger & better more efficient unit, often "hailed" as a "Towing Converter".

I also reccomend using a AWD Pan & FIlter with the 2" plastic extension as it hold more ATF & with A4LDs, the more ATF the better & cooler they run. Other than these few things & leaving Exploder Speedo Cable drive gear hsg in tailshaft to "fill the Hole", swap was quick & easy. I got a great used A4LD Transmission for 1/3 core value people charge if you purchase a rebuilt unit.
A word of advice here would be: If you're not familiar with what constitutes a "Good A/T" condition wise, and are not very experienced with diagnostics & indicators of problematic symptoms, take somebody who is & who you trust if you go looking fro a used Automatic Transmission. Also don't simply check the transmission, check whole vehicle & get an idea what it's "life" was like. If it's beat & ragged out, move on unless you Know the A/T Is Pristine or better yet BRAND NEWor Recently Overhauled by a Competent Rebuilder.:rolleyes:

Good Luck & Happy Hunting:burnout:
CIAO
FBp :thumbsup:

Hi FB Pete,

THanks for your story! I was triggered by the RWD into AWD bit.
I have European Ford Granada that used to have a 2.6 cologne with C3 AT in it.
That drivetrain is swapped fot a 2.9 with A4LD some time ago, and now I'm looking for a new upgrade.
My wish is a 4.0 cologne with 5r55 from explorer/ aerostar.

Problem is that over here all Fords with 4.0's are AWD, but that won't fit in my Granada.
My idea is to take the tailpiece of the A4LD and change that with the AWD piece from the explorer to make it RWD.

Question is: is that possible (and as easy as it sounds) or not?

Best regards,

Martinus

elwood28.jpg

Thanx for the quick response!
I was opting for the quick & easy swap..

So now I'm on a queste for a aerostar or other ford with 4.0 and RWD A/T or a 2.9 24v with A/T (also 200 bhp).

Cheers!

Martijn

My idea is to get a complete vehicle and use the drivetrain and wiring from that.
So that shouldn't be a problem. :)

I'MMMmmmmm BAAaaack

Got a little time between now & Christmas Day.

Martinus,
I am not familiar with non "USA" PCM's & ECM's & their related "systems" so I really can't offer an honest answer to your plan to use an entire "system" when you transplant powertrains from one model to another.

I do know my scanner has different codes for "non domestic" vehicles. Forgive a presumed reference to US Vehicles as being "domestic" & others as being presumed "non domestic". Ref's by Country of Origin would clear that faux pas up for sure. Having said that, I'm comfortable swapping systems partially or entirely within a "brand" or manufacturer. I've even been involved in swaps across brands/manufacturers but I use pretty much entire systems to transplant. I don't mix or co-mingle brands or systems due to compatablity issues.

I just learned a difference between A4LD vs A4LDE from BB's post. I'd not yet run across that. I did learn a good, easy, upgrade for A4LD Torque Converter is using 4R44E Converter instead. Apparently it is quite a common practice for towing & other severe duty app's around here I was previously unaware of.

Also BB is "Way Correct" about making AWD into RWD. It's not something one should attempt to accomplish on a shop floor prior to installation. Having said that, it is not something to shrink from either, if you have access to equipped A/T Rebuild/Repair facility. The Unit does need to come completely apart and be properly re-assembled & tested in order to be done correctly. In my first attempt I got "taken" by a Silver Tounged Devil who did nothing properly to begin with. So a Pristine unit I'd been saving got ruined as bad or worse than Unit with 240,000 Miles I wore out + new torque converter got a dose of metal filings & scrapings in them. They were both ruined too. I do want my RWD tailshaft Housing back so I can swap it with Explorer Housing with a speed sensing control sticking out of it.

In my case I got my RWD A4LD from a correct vintage & type Ford Explorer. Internals are all correct, but externals vary as I stated in another post. Once I got the right shifting levers & correct cable brackets it all went together well and works great. I also used an AWD Pan for additional ATF it holds as I have learned you can not have too much fluid to transfer internal heat these Bordeaux units generate when they are made to "work out". Of course that is not inclusive of over-filling the unit. Internal "levels" are still critical, but use of more & larger coolers & use of bigger sump pans do increase longevity.

Keep us advised of how your project comes together & works out for you. Also have a great Holiday Season, y'All.:salute:

CIAO
FBp

A lot of parts manuals, rebuilding shops, and parts suppliers in the USA refer to the 4R44E/4R55E as an A4LDE. As you could see from the link in post # 6, it's really not since the European version is a real A4LDE.

Thanx for your posts!

My wish is still to get a 4.0 with RWD A/T in my coupe.
The main question was if it was possible to use a tailpiece from a A4LD on a 4r44/ 5/55(from a 4WD) to make it RWD. I understand that it is possible, but I would have to take it completely apart. (and I was going for the easy option...)

What I've done before: Took out my 2.6 with C3 and put in 2.9 with A4LDE, complete with wiring, EEC etc. I had to change exhaust pipes, add fuel pump, alter LPG.
The EEC takes care of engine management and also the 'overdrive' or 4th gear.

I figured I could do the same with an Aerostar or Explorer: Take out engine and A/T and wiring etc so it works the same as in the donor vehicle. Making brackets for the gear lever has als been done before.
Problem is that most (if not all) Non-domestic :))) Fords come with 4WD over here. So my options are: use my A4LD, change a 5r55 or 4r44 in RWD or find a vehicle with RWD (best). Using my A4LD is a bit problematic because they are different from domestic ones and there might be differences in wiring; rebuilding a 4WD into a RWD is (at this time) too much work; so I'll be looking for a RWD donor vehicle.

In Europe there are also Mercur Scorpios with 2.9 24v. I think I'll opt for that for the short term.

I Understand, good luck & good success to you.

Hi Martinus,
I'm not familiar enough with Euro Tech to be certain about EEC interchanges. I do know that in the U.S. our government decided to get involved and make the digital control of vehicles "fair & equal" for everybody. Read everybody as those who know what they are doing, and those who do not know. Thus there is a definite break point in chronological terms where the two systems differ enough as to be incompatible. This occurred in '96 model production runs for all U.S. Built Passenger (& some commercial) vehicles. Thus there is a profound difference between OBD-I & the newer OBD-II Op Systems. The twain do not agree by that U.S. decree. So I know installing components that require OBD-II technology in OBD-I equipped vehicle, or vice-a-versa, often becomes a confusing nightmare. It can be done but requires a breakout box and hours of time to figure it out.

On the other topic*, mechanically speaking, making an OBD-I controlled AWD into a RWD Unit is a matter of swapping parts. As BB said it must come apart completely because the last thing in disassembly is the Output Shaft, the 1st thing in re-assembly is the very same shaft. So either way it's a lot of time & effort to accomplish. However I do agree it's the better solution except for the major hassle & effort. IF you are able to integrate your EEC to control an engine/transmission [drivetrain] you want, and not run into problems we do here between OBD-I & OBD-II programming, technology & wiring, do it. The Mekur's disappeared here & I suspect it is technology based directly related to non OBD-II Compliance. They did run well when we had them available.
However like you, I cherish the performance of a well tuned 4.0L over most other V6 Engine configurations. Performance, durability, reliability & longevity of a Cologne Built, all iron, 4.0L is something to be revered, respected in my estimation. In my other "toys" [vehicles] I have 5.0L Windsor V-8 and a 7.5L
385 series (460CID) V-8, my wife has a 3.0L V-6 Taurus. The Cologne 4.0L in my 95 Aero is approaching a quarter million miles without serious malady as of yet. Another 4.0L had oved 200,000 miles when the transfercase on the A4LD AWD went bad a 3rd time. I'd had to put a 4th transfercase in it when I found the RWD Aero I have now. I have 2 spare 4.0L engines in the shop just in case, but so far so good.

I wish I was more help, but I just do not know about the nuances of Euro Tech interfacing. However as an Old Time American "hot rodder" I've been known to turn many a vehicle into an empty shell & put it back together as I want. I've done so with EEC, ECM & PCM controlled vehicles as well as with ancient vehilces which came with no electronics at all. So I know it can be done & made to work very well. I use a breakout box & entire systems which I alter to do what needs to be done. Due to tough Vehicle Inspection Regulations here, radically altered vehicles which are not within "compliance" can not be registered or street driven. But we do have off road venues that we can operate such vehicles at on a limited basis, atleast.

* there's a thread in Explorer Transmission & Drive train Forum that illustrates the disassembly of an A4LD using graphics from a manual, as well as dialogue with do's & don't & watch out for's
and I think it's worth checking out.
CIAO

FBp:)

Back