• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Mount Failure

Fentress24

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Dropped my truck/car/minivan(depending on who you ask on here) off at the dealership yesterday morning to have them fix the TSB for the right front subframe mount/bolt. After looking at the truck they said the noise was actually a failed transmission mount. Has anyone else had a failed transmission mount? Truck is a 2016 Sport with 27,x.. miles on it.

---
Now a rant about dealership service departments and common sense. I dropped the truck off at 8am and I specifically requested an update around 12pm so that I could make plans for a ride back to pick it up, or a ride home if it wasn't going to be fixed in time. I called them at 1:30 when I had not heard from them. They didn't know if it would be done by the end of the day at this time. I asked for a call back and update at 4pm and explained again that I needed to know so that I could plan accordingly. I called them at 4:30 since I had once again heard nothing from them. After being on hold and getting VM's for 20 minutes I finally got a service advisor who told me the truck would not be fixed today. I then asked if they had a loaner available since they will be keeping my truck overnight. His response was a very casual, "no."

Seriously? Do they think people just have extra cars laying around, or maybe they expected me to walk to and from work? I said, "you have my car, how do you expect me to get home and back to work?" He had no answer and no intention on providing an answer. He clearly just thought it was ok to keep the car overnight and not provide a solution to my problem.

Failure to make an attempt to provide quality customer service is one thing that seriously angers me. It's a clear example of not caring about the customer and just plain laziness. If they had put any thought into it or just kept me up to date on the status of the truck, there would have been zero issues. But when you tell a client at 4:45 that their vehicle will not be available and no you don't have a loaner or any answer to provide them a ride home, that is just lazy and unacceptable.

TL;DR: Service sucked and left me with no car and zero update so that I could make plans to get to and from work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sadly Ford doesn't provide loaner vehicles (typically) unless you have additional warranty coverage OR your dealership provides loaners/rentals are part of THEIR business process. Now the issue of communication obviously is a dealership/service adviser issue and needs to be brought to the attention of the dealership once this is resolved.

Dropped my truck/car/minivan(depending on who you ask on here) off at the dealership yesterday morning to have them fix the TSB for the right front subframe mount/bolt. After looking at the truck they said the noise was actually a failed transmission mount. Has anyone else had a failed transmission mount? Truck is a 2016 Sport with 27,x.. miles on it. ...................................................

...................................... I then asked if they had a loaner available since they will be keeping my truck overnight. His response was a very casual, "no."

Seriously? Do they think people just have extra cars laying around, or maybe they expected me to walk to and from work? I said, "you have my car, how do you expect me to get home and back to work?" He had no answer and no intention on providing an answer. He clearly just thought it was ok to keep the car overnight and not provide a solution to my problem.
cwescapexlt4x4 is correct in that Ford does not supply loaners/rentals. It is so stated in the Warranty Guide. Dealers that do supply them do so at their own expense. An ESP with 1st day rental will cover it. Also, I was not able to find posts about any apparent failures of transmission mounts in this Forum.

Peter

Sorry, I should have specified. The dealer has provided me with a loaner for prior warranty work. They do it, they just didn't make one available.

I called today at 12 since I had not received an update. The transmission mount did not fix the issue and they were still working to try and figure it out. I just received a call that it is fixed and now ready for pickup. Service advisor said they couldn't figure out what it was so they tightened every nut and bolt in the front end they could find and it seems to have fixed the issue....

That answer provides me with a ton of confidence that they know what they're doing.

Sorry, I should have specified. The dealer has provided me with a loaner for prior warranty work. They do it, they just didn't make one available.

I called today at 12 since I had not received an update. The transmission mount did not fix the issue and they were still working to try and figure it out. I just received a call that it is fixed and now ready for pickup. Service advisor said they couldn't figure out what it was so they tightened every nut and bolt in the front end they could find and it seems to have fixed the issue....

That answer provides me with a ton of confidence that they know what they're doing.

Yeah, that sounds very reassuring.
You should go for a ride with the service advisor to verify the noise is gone before you take it.
Also, verify what the work order says.

Good News! The popping is gone and the truck feels just like it did when I drove it off the lot. I do absolutely love this truck when I have it.

Spoke to the guy for a while when I picked it up. He said they replaced the transmission mount and when that didn't fix the problem they went over the entire front end double checking all suspension and frame hardware. Didn't have to replace any parts or make any adjustments, but just tightening everything up fixed the issue. I can post what was written on the work order this weekend when I get around to reading through it.

They are always very pleasant and have done a great job of fixing my problems so far, but the total lack of communication is what frustrates me. Truck has now been at the dealer 3 times for warranty work for a total of almost 30 days. More than my last 3 cars combined.

Back