Transmission noise when shifting P,R,D.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission noise when shifting P,R,D....

762mm

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT (4x4, SOHC)
I was just wondering why my '99 XLT (5 spd auto) is making a crunching noise when shifting out of "Park" into D or R.. ? Sometimes shifting from D to R after driving it a bit also makes noise, and the transmission seems to engage a bit rough into the 1st gear/reverse gear. I had changed the fluid alsmost completely (flush) a few months ago (with a new filter/gasket kit) and haven't driven it much either since (maybe 4k miles at most). As far as I can remember, the truck has always been making this noise, but now it's really bothering me (I like keeping it in a "new-like" condition, without any weird noises or "crunching" that's not supposed to be there).

I've read something in the Haynes manual about greasing the shifter on the transmission itself, but never got around to do it... Could this be the problem on these models? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Could be the brakes making noise as pressure to move is applied when you shift to D and R. May also be a u-joint or the slip yoke, but those are usually clunks, not crunches.

The brakes could be playing some role in it too... now that I think of it, sometimes it does sound like some noise is coming from there, but other times it sounds like really muffled, yet still loud mechanical "bang" coming from under the floor (where the transmission is) when I shift into R mostly. It is an intermittent problem though, and I can't quite put my finger on it - it does it sometimes, other times it is as quiet as a luxury car. :confused:

Back