• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Oil cooler line help

DFHcomputer

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer LTD V6
An amateur changed out my radiator, and kinked the upper transmission oil cooler line, now leaking transmission fluid. On my '97 mountaineer, these lines are pre-shaped metal tubes, with screw-in fittings that connect to the radiator. I've seen mention of flexible rubber hoses (that are considerably cheaper than the replacement metal lines) - is this something I could use/adapt to repair my leak? Any similar experiences would be gratefully digested......

Oil line repair

Using a backup wrench disconnect the fitting and oil line. Use a tubing cutter to cut the line short of the the crimp. Use a flaring tool to flare the cut ends. Install a length of 3/8 inch inside diameter oil cooler hose with hose clamps on the far side of the flares.

An amateur changed out my radiator, and kinked the upper transmission oil cooler line, now leaking transmission fluid. On my '97 mountaineer, these lines are pre-shaped metal tubes, with screw-in fittings that connect to the radiator. I've seen mention of flexible rubber hoses (that are considerably cheaper than the replacement metal lines) - is this something I could use/adapt to repair my leak? Any similar experiences would be gratefully digested......

I am also dealing with a coolant leak, the line is all metal and has rusted, a hole developed next to the fitting that joins to the remote filter I installed. Searching for 95' coolant line replacement nothing is available. Does anyone have access to the OEM part numbers for the upper and lower lines so I can find a replacement. The dealer only had recent information that said to manually cut and bend from bulk line, this gets to be too expensive for me. Thanks in advance for anyone's comments.

Back