transmission / please please help

xwasif

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Dear All

This is Very important , i started feeling issues with the transmission , when it's shifting between gears It lunges, jolts, doesn't engage and sometimes the transmission slams into gear so hard that it feels like I just got rear ended with a big bang

please help me , i had a technician computer test the car & according to him , i should replace the transmission (gear box) all together , he gave me this page once the test has finished ..please check the below image & tell me what do you think , please please help , this is very expensive thing if it's true

http://postimg.org/image/szd83f7f7/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have experienced the same issues but it only happens when the wrench light (drivetrain) comes on. Restarting temporarily solves the issue. I've only had it happen 3 times since it first happened in 2011 so I haven't worried too much about it yet. If you search the wrench light in the forum you could get more details on this issue. Could be a sensor.

If its unrelated to the wrench light might be best to take to a Ford dealer to diagnose. Hopefully its not the tranny.

Does it only happen between 1st and 2nd gear, or all gears? There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that addresses the issue with just 1st and 2nd gear. The supposed fix is a software update that recalibrates the transmission, but it didn't work for my Explorer. This applies to the V8 only, is that what you have?

Sorry but that screen shot doesn't tell me much other than you have a specific communication error. Need more specific DTC's in order to say if it is the transmission or a control module.

it seems that it's happening on first & second gear , I've noticed that it disappears for a while when i change the engine oil & filter , one more thing , I'm located in Riyadh-Saudi Arabia , it's 55 Degrees C ,it feels like it's happening in hot weather , could it be overheating , since i have only tap water in the radiator ,

could you please tell me what's the best transmission oil recommended for hot climate

I'm not sure about the other stuff, but you should have a 50/50 mix of coolant and water in your radiator. Preferably using distilled water.

yes you are right , but does the radiator has anything to do with cooling the transmission fluids ,

Not directly, but indirectly there could be a problem because of using just water in the radiator for cooling. The transmission fluid cooler is mounted in front of the radiator on these vehicles and the heat from the transmission plus the lower boiling point of having just water in the radiator makes the engine/transmission oil have to do the extra work of removing the additional heat from the engine. My recommendation is to add a product called "water wetter" if you are not going to run coolant in the radiator and that should help drive down the temperatures under the hood and maybe things will go away.
A better ATF for the transmission that holds up better/longer under high load and heat is Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF. This is what I personally run in the transmission and transfer case after I boiled over the factory ATF just by towing a light load of about 2500 lbs. from Tucson, AZ. up to Flagstaff, AZ. at a maximum speed of 70 MPH and since the change I have not boiled the transmission fluid on the vehicle with even heavier loads under the same situation.

Back