What is this part? PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this part? PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Ok guys, I finially found someone with a 95 explorer that let me take some pictures...

If you dont already know - I got into an accident and I need to find out what part this is. It was destroyed in the accident and I need to know if it is crucially needed part inorder to get this beast temporarily drivable so I can get it into a garage. ANY information you have about this, PLEASE let me know.

It is located right below the air filter and has two lines going into it.

Thanks.

Here are the pictures:
10058IMG_0961_Large_.jpg

10058IMG_0960_Large_.jpg

10058IMG_0962_Large_.jpg

10058IMG_0963_Large_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't that part of the brake booster system? I may be totally incorrect but I think that has to do with vaccum, and the power brakes. I'll see if I can dig something up for ya. :)

According to the repair cd that isn't the same shape as the brake booster in the illustration. I can't find any info on it :confused:

Where do the lines lead to?

This is the entire vacuum system on a '95:

87991995_vac-med.jpg

I can tell you that it is a vacuum reservoir for the vent controls. It has a one way valve in it so make sure that you hook it up the right way around. When I got my x it was the wrong way and the vents would not change from screen to floor/face etc.

Howard is correct. I had a hole worn in mine (long story) and the dash vents wouldnt work- air would only come out of the floor vents. Fixed it with some fiberglass, and they started working again.

any idea on the cost of this? Seems like it would be $10 at a parts place, $200 at a dealer... =)

This is a great relief that it is nothing important (relatively speaking). Thank you SO much. Because of my situation - I think I'm going to have to try and bend the radiator support back out, put a new hose on it, fill it up, pound the hood down and sawzall the fender off... then drive it 270 miles back home =).

This of course, assuming nothing else crucial was damaged and I do end up buying it back...

Edit: I was looking at the diagram and it shows it being connected to the brake booster. Is that correct? ifso - what does that mean if I operate it with this piece not there/working?

..it means you will have a vacum leak if you don't cap off the lines or replace the resivour, and it may run a bit rough , especially at an idle....Ashley

And you have lack of power brakes. Hey, if you alignment is out, I'll sell you a set of BFG All Terrains that are balb in the inside :rolleyes:

Tell me you aren't driving it back home! ;) Take out the rear driveshaft and get a car dolley, rent a truck and tow her home!

IAmTodd said:
And you have lack of power brakes. Hey, if you alignment is out, I'll sell you a set of BFG All Terrains that are balb in the inside :rolleyes:

Tell me you aren't driving it back home! ;) Take out the rear driveshaft and get a car dolley, rent a truck and tow her home!

I hope my alignment isn't off - because that would mean it messed w/ the suspension. I have my stock wheels I can swap out if need be.

I have someone who can tow it - the whole idea of driving it back home is a last resort if he is unable to pick it up by the time I have to get it out of the lot.

However I DO need to be able to drive it a couple hundred yards so that I can drive it on the trailer, drive it off, and drive it into the garage I'll be renting.

I would bet your alignment is off. A really nasty pothole will throw the front out of line. I'd tow it to a collision shop and have the frame checked before writing a check, like JamesT Suggested.

As mentioned above, it is a reservoir for the climate system. You can most likely just attached the lines to each other, and run without the reservoir. Don't leave the lines open.

The part costs $16 at Ford Parts Network, and it is a vacuum reservoir that controls your A/C vents. If you eliminate it and connect the lines to each other, whenever your foot is on the gas the a/c will switch to the defrost vents.

Thanks for the info. Is this part hard to replace? The lines/places it connected to it didn't look damaged. Just simply plugging the lines into the new one?

Also, I just need to get this beast able to drive a distance of ~50ft a total of 3-4 times before it will be in a garage where it wont need to move till I can start fixing it (if I buy it back). Sooooo I'll likely just tape off the ends of the lines for now.

Easy as pie. Just plug them in.

Do you really think there is any chance you aren't buying it back? You say the "if I buy it back" like you are talking to your mother or your gf. It sounds to me as if it's a done deal, and you are just trying to ease into it. :)

Mbrooks420 said:
Do you really think there is any chance you aren't buying it back? You say the "if I buy it back" like you are talking to your mother or your gf. It sounds to me as if it's a done deal, and you are just trying to ease into it. :)

It all depends what kinda of prices I get from retailers and such. If my explorer was closer then 300 miles away from me - I could have made the decision already. However I still havn't gone back to closely examine the damage. It also doesn't help that I'm going through exams and such right now - so I have 0 free time to try and price stuff out.

I'm doing a Co-op next semester instead of going to classes, which means I'll bring in some $$... so I'm thinking I'll just use insurence money and Co-op money to buy a 97-98 V8 in late 2005.

I still dont want to give up my baby though... but it's 130k on the v6 95 tranny. The car has been keyed, it's going to need a paint job.... But all that being said - I would love to buy it back and fix it. It just all depends on the $$ factor.

My 2 cents? Buy a V8. But if you are gonna fix it up, I still have that New-in-box airbag for the drivers side.....

He is scrapping it BTW:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back