Transmission question 2017 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission question 2017 Ford Explorer XLT

Michellelee0923

Reaction score
City, State
Bracey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I currently have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT. I took my vehicle to a shop and had a complete change of all fluids which cost me about $900. About a month later my transmission started slipping. I took my vehicle to the local ford dealership and they told me it was going to cost about $10k to replace. My transmission has like a pink foamy substance in it. The shop of course denied any wrong doing, they also took a sample of the fluid and it came back as water in my transmission. However then they said that my radiator must be leaking engine coolant into my transmission which caused it to mess up. So my question is, is it possible that my radiator leaked coolant into my transmission which caused this issue and if so would this be covered under the Ford 5years/60,000 Powertrain Warranty? My vehicle only has 46,000 on it. Or do I keep pursuing this shop who did the work and get them to pay for this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! The radiator can leak coolant into the transmission from a failed transmission cooler that shares a spot inside radiator tank. I’ve seen this type of failure on earlier units from 2013 -14 but not on later models. My view on any warranty claims would be to Ford. Maybe someone else will chime in that’s had this scenario and can help guide you. Good luck.
Brad

Welcome to the forum! The radiator can leak coolant into the transmission from a failed transmission cooler that shares a spot inside radiator tank. I’ve seen this type of failure on earlier units from 2013 -14 but not on later models. My view on any warranty claims would be to Ford. Maybe someone else will chime in that’s had this scenario and can help guide you. Good luck.
Brad
I did take my vehicle to a Ford dealership and they are unfortunately saying the warranty will not cover because it's from the other shops negligence. If that was the case, wouldnt the mechanic at ford have picked up on this issue while they were checking my vehicle?

Ford is playing tag since another shop worked on the vehicle last to keep them from liability. Might want to look to an independent transmission shop to get an estimate.
Brad

Ford is playing tag since another shop worked on the vehicle last to keep them from liability. Might want to look to an independent transmission shop to get an estimate.
Brad
I was worried that this is exactly what they were doing. I did hire an attorney and we do have a set court date against the shop that did the original work on my vehicle. However I don't want to waste my time traveling and going to court and spending more money, if this is a possibility that it was a radiator issue because then it would be fords issue to fix. I had absolutely no issues before getting the work done, which is why my attorney felt we needed to hold the shop reliable.

Back