Transmission slippage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slippage

D F Willy

Reaction score
When driving my explorer, mainly when the engine and transmission are cool or cold. The auto transmission doesn't want to shift into sencond gear, it will rev out a ways untill it warms up, then it will shift fine again. I also noticed one time i stopped at a light, then let off the brake and started accelerating. There was a loud clunk, then the car started moving. A few weeks ago when this started i took a look at the tranny fluid level, added about a 1/3 - 1/2 a quart and ran it around for a while the problem went away. The fluid is reading at the right level when the truck is running. What could the problem be? Transmission overfilled, foaming in the transmission, or possibly it needs to be rebuilt or replaced? The truck has 187,x.. miles on it and I've never had the engine or the tranny rebuilt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have some clutch plates going bad and/or it could be the solenoid for the 1-2 shift. Mine did something similar but it was between 2nd and 3rd gear. And it would not stay in overdrive. Ending up having the tranny rebuilt and the solenoid for the 2-3 shift replaced.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

I not completely positive, but the transmission is running smoother after a transmission fluid/filter change.

My parents have experienced this same problem in their motorhome auto trans. We added extra trans. fluid and have not had a problem since. I hope this is what is wrong with yours because it was a real easy fix.

------------------
Brian
91 XLT 4x4

I had exactly the same problem. I thought I was going to have to rebuild the transmission, but when I took it to my mechanic, he just replace a small part. I can't remember what the part was called, but it was much cheaper than a rebuild. Take it to a reliable mechanic, if you have the same problem I did they should be able to find it.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

About a year and a half ago a mechanic did mention something about the shifter silinoid going out on my transmission, but i didn't listen to him, since later in the year, i had a wreck, and he suppossedly did repars and charged the insurance company only for me to find out he didn't do the repairs. If a transmission fluid/filter change doesn't help i'll probably rebuild the tranny.

Sounds like the speed govenor is sticking. Check this: Dead Link Removed

I would try having the tranny flushed and having a new filter put in. Make sure that they actually fluah the tranny and not just dump the fluid out and raplace it. When you take teh drain plug out and filter you only get 7-8 quarts of fluid out but the tranny hold around 15 qts. So they really need to have teh machine to flush it. Check your tranny dipstick the fluid should be clear with a little color like pinkish red. If it is brownish it needs to be changed. I have mine flushed onece a year following Ford recommendation. It really does help. My tranny was making a bad noise in OD from time to time when I bought it. I thought i was going to have to change the tranny but after I had it flushed and a new filter put in it drives perfect. I beleive that Ford recommends flushing the tranny every 24,000 miles. Hope this helps. It costs around $80-$100.

------------------
91 Navajo 4.0
Bosch Platinum plugs, K&N air filter, modified air box and Bilstien shocks.

I had a problem wheeling last Thanksgiving with my trans. I cooked the tranny fluid and it was changed in Feb. It was a DARK red/brown color. After about 12 qts, it was turning lighter and by 19 qts, it was the bright red color that new fluid is supposed to be.

The person I bought the truck from said he had the tranny fluid serviced maybe 9 months before and the diff fluids were never changed when he had them. The mechanic said "the looked fine and it would be a waste to change them". Guess they never heard of what us motorcyclists keep hearing, about the gears sheering the oil and breaking down the long chain molecules. Changed the diff fluids at the same time as the tranny fluid.

There maybe a problem with your torque converter.

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

Back