• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slipping in 3rd.

A1C_Snowman

Reaction score
City, State
Elmendorf AFB, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
I usually dont' double post, but I figured I could get some help here aswell.

Ok so I went out ruckusing tonight, and was climbing a pretty steep and rutty hill. A couple of times I lost traction in the rear, but I punched it to try and get the fronts to pull me up. I finally got up the hill, but then I noticed some smoke coming from the tranny area. Now my 3rd gear is shot. All other gears are fine. My truck shifts normal 1st to 2nd, but once it hits 3 it shoots right up the RPM band. If I lift the throttle it will shift to 4th and continue on it merry way just like normal. I also noticed that after it slipped my O/D lift flashed rapidly. Please tell me I didn't grenade my tranny. If you think that adjusting the band and changing the fluid might help let me know. Also if you can think of anything else let me know.

just for reference truck is a 2002 XLT 4x4 4.0v6 5r55E

2002 has a 5R55W. That is the one without the dipstick. If the OD light is flashing, then it has a code stored. Have the code read, and post its #. It looks like Pxxxx. The code will tell you what has to be done in order to fix the shifting issue. I saw your other post first before you posted in this section.

Back