• Register Today It's free!

transmission sluggish till warm

mikeinpa

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Heights, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT 2WD
I had my transmission rebuilt about 9 months ago and all seemed fine, but the last few days Ive noticed that it is slipping on really cold days. Today I put it in reverse to back out of my driveway and it sat there while the engine revved. I put it in park for a few minutes and let the truck warm up some more and it did (reluctantly) go into reverse. BTW, Im not leaking any fluids. When on the street it seemed like my rpm's were high for the speed I was going, although I did not check the actual rpm/speed. Just seemed like it was slipping.

Im concerned because I had to return the truck to the company that rebuilt the trans 4 times before they got it right.

Any Ideas ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you letting the truck warm up at all?

You might want to switch to synthetics and see if that helps. Conventional ATF will thicken up enough to do that. What temps are you at now?

temps have been around freezing with wind chills below 0 for about a week now. Seems to me that the colder it is, the worse the problem gets.

I didnt consider the fact that the viscosity of the atf would change, I guess Im just not letting the X warm up enough. At least I hope thats all it is. I would hate to have more transmission problems.

mine doesnt like shifting till its warm either.

Back