• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Swap

johndoecalico

Reaction score
City, State
Narragansett, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone, new to the site but long time visitor. I just recently did and engine swap a couple months ago and last week the trannie finally went as well so swapped that out too, both the trans and engine are low mileage (65k). engine has been running smoother than my original, the trannie on the other hand has been flipping out with the o/d light flashing and check transmission and engine light coming up also extremely violent shifting when going from ark to drive or reverse but only when the light is flasing. i got the flush done a few days after the swap as i didnt have $$ right away. went to autozone to get the codes printed out and this is what i got. p0743, p0760, p0755, p1747, p1789 and finally p0797. so apparently its an electrical issue and the mechanic who mounted the trannie tells me somehow water got in it, he noticed as he was draining the old fluid thats why he recommended i flush it. somebody please help with this and tell me what to expect. i still have my old trannie which never had any electrical issues, should i swap solenoid packs? im going to aamco to get a second reading done in a couple days then take it from there. any experienced input would be great, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like at least the solenoid block is bad.

honestly that is what im hoping it is, either that or a problem with the wiring. i just dropped a little over 2 grand on a replacement engine and now 1200$ on this trannie job all within the past 3 months. got a good 209k out of the truck before all that went. so what would u recommend i do with my old trannies solenoid pack to clean it? the guy who put in the trannie doesnt feel comfortable working on the inside of my trans so i guess i will do it myself. i know for sure the problems on my previous trannie were purely mechanical, never dripped a single drop of fluid or ever set off any lights in the 6 years i had it and actually when it went the car just failed to move, i didnt even get any check trans light or check engine, car just would not move. hope its safe to say my old pack is still good, any cleaning procedures? ive already had this new trannie flushed right after i had it installed.

honestly that is what im hoping it is, either that or a problem with the wiring. i just dropped a little over 2 grand on a replacement engine and now 1200$ on this trannie job all within the past 3 months. got a good 209k out of the truck before all that went. so what would u recommend i do with my old trannies solenoid pack to clean it? the guy who put in the trannie doesnt feel comfortable working on the inside of my trans so i guess i will do it myself. i know for sure the problems on my previous trannie were purely mechanical, never dripped a single drop of fluid or ever set off any lights in the 6 years i had it and actually when it went the car just failed to move, i didnt even get any check trans light or check engine, car just would not move. hope its safe to say my old pack is still good, any cleaning procedures? ive already had this new trannie flushed right after i had it installed.

Cleaning will not do much of anything for a solenoid block. It is fairly simple to swap, just drop the pan and pull the eight bolts holding the block in, plus the pain-in-the-ass 10mm connector on the top.

If the original block worked, I would probably do the same thing and swap it in. Honestly, if it is 210k miles old I would be leery that it would be ready to fail, as they typically do not even last half that long. On the other hand, the fact that it has lasted this long could suggest it is a fluke that just will not die. Regardless you can at least use it to troubleshoot the issue, as there may be more to it than just the solenoid block. Also make sure the fluid level is correct.

Are you a lobsterman? I spent a summer out of Point Judith on the Cindy Lou. :cool:

cool i will def try that, and i havent checked the level since i got a flush done a couple weeks ago i assumed it should b fine but who knows so i will do that too. ohh man i love seafood, anyone who doesnt should be committed lol. never really done the boating thing yet since i grew up in providence but im new to southern rhode island so i dont know a soul out in this neck of the woods but i do plan on getting my butt around come next summer, heard tons of good stories about point judith. great places to eat, also galilee.

Back