• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Vacume Modulator

mora20164

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XL
My Gears are having trouble shifting. However, this happens only when the Truck is cold. trouble shifting from 1-2 then 2-3..once it pops at High RPM..then there is no problem for the duration of the trip. Rest the car for an hour, and there it goes. So This Has to be a Transmission Vacuum Modulator.

Does anyone have experience with installing this part. I read that in first generations that there is a "Hatch" to the transmission under the floorboard, by removing the seats? It's protected by a Heatsheild with a 10MM Bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "Hatch" is probably just a block off plate to cover the hole in the floor where the shifter would go if it had a manual trans. I dont think that you could really hope to do much repair work through there, but I've been wrong before.

My Gears are having trouble shifting. However, this happens only when the Truck is cold. trouble shifting from 1-2 then 2-3..once it pops at High RPM..then there is no problem for the duration of the trip. Rest the car for an hour, and there it goes. So This Has to be a Transmission Vacuum Modulator.

Does anyone have experience with installing this part. I read that in first generations that there is a "Hatch" to the transmission under the floorboard, by removing the seats? It's protected by a Heatsheild with a 10MM Bolt.

Try this link:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219783

I am not sure where the part is that you need to get to but the access hole is about 8" x 14", just an estimate but it should be big enough.

also with those symptoms you might want to try a simple drain and fill with a new filter. only costs about 30 bucks if you do it yourself and is just general maintenance anyways, you see if the filter is clogged the colder more viscous ATF has a hard time making it through the filter but once it warms up the ATF is a little thinner and can make it through

I changed my vacuum modulator through the access panel (hatch). It is a pretty easy job going through there with plenty of room. There is no need to remove the seats. I don't remember, but you may have to remove the consul. You will need to slide the heat shield over, then remove the vacuum hose; the VM part has one bolt holding it on. There is also a pin in the modulator that you need to keep and re-install. I believe it was Brooklyn Bay who suggested that you use a tab of vasoline to hold it in place when you re-install. All told it took approximately a half an hour.

Your symptom could also be the infamous "morning sickness", which is a sticking governor.

Matt

. . plenty of room. There is no need to remove the seats. . .

you do need to remove the seats unless you want to cut a big hole in your carpet

I used the hatch too. I think I only removed the passenger seat and center console but I don't remember.

going to try it again with a newer wratcheting wrench

My video on my 94 replacement. Hope it helps..

I did it from underneath with an inspection mirror and had zero issues. Was more of a PITA but faster imho

Back