• Register Today It's free!

Transmission woes

c7j6y1

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Well every single ford ive ever owned has had transmission troubles, so why was i suprised when my new to me explorer sport had transmission problems.

its been stuck in 3rd fro about a month now, havent been driving it just been sitting ... thank goodness for public transit lol

well i decide that i was gonna fix it this weekend so i went to the local salvage yard after they told me they had a transmission from a 97 ranger with the 4.0 so it sould bolt right up right?

well they couldnt find it but they had a 98 M5OD and they assured me that it would fit. so a few hundred $$ later im on my way home with the transmission...

well as i was pulling the original trans out, i started noticing things... the 2 major things: the 98 M50D dosent have the speedo gear, and the starter is on the passenger side. my original trans has the speedo gear and the starter is on the driver's side....

so my option was either swap out the guts or just take it back to the yard and see if they have a trans that would actually fit...

what do ya'll think?

and is there a transmission compatability chart somewhere? or like a year-by-year differences in the M5OD?

thanks

p.s just found out the yard isnt open till monday... great

jerks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody... its a bit of a timely issue

Bueller... bueller.....bueller..

I'd take it back. If you're going to shell out hard earn greenbacks, you minds well get the right part. It'll save you from more mind hemorraging headaches ;]

I agree. take it back. I'm not 100% sure the gears from a 3.0 tranny will fit perfectly in a 4.0 housing.

I do know the gear ratios are different...

J...wonders where wrecking yards find these imcompetent emplotees.

well I've already taken it back, now they are trying to find me a suitable replacement.

Just a few questions, but did you're OD light flash when it was stuck in 3rd? Did u ever scan for codes? How did you come to the conclusion that the trans is beyond repair?

Its a manual. I knew it was stuck in third cause that's where the shifter was and no codes in a manual

Got the transmission out. Finally lol.

Back