Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Im on my third set of Hankook tires with my 2016 Explorer Sport. with 65,500 miles. I meticulously rotate every 5K and check tire pressure everyday. Anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im on my third set of Hankook tires with my 2016 Explorer Sport. with 65,500 miles. I meticulously rotate every 5K and check tire pressure everyday. Anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have moved your thread to this one on the same issue. As you can see, you are far from being alone. Have you been replacingthem with the same tire? On the Hankook website, it is classified as a passenger car tire.
Here is what I copied from post #107 posted by Jason, jmr061.

Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment.

Peter

I have 25K on my '18 Platinum and the Hankooks are GONE. Rides like a log wagon and noisy as can be. The very worst set of tires I have ever owned...and I've owned a lot over the past 47 years of driving

I have 25K on my '18 Platinum and the Hankooks are GONE. Rides like a log wagon and noisy as can be. The very worst set of tires I have ever owned...and I've owned a lot over the past 47 years of driving
I have 51K only on my odometer. In 2018, the OEM Hankooks started developing "flakes". Literally chips of tires will be visible. After a protracted argument with the dealer, who insisted my driving is bad, after escalating it to Ford Corporate, they grudgingly changed the tires to another Hankook Ventus Noble.

Lo and behold, earlier this year, the tires started showing flakes! Dealer has refused to do anything with it.

So I found out that this is an issue with this model and Hankook is aware of it. However:
1. Ford dealer will *not* change these OEM to any other brand as part of warranty
2. Hankook will *not* change the tires unless they are worn to a particular depth and within warranty.

So yeah, you are not alone. And please change to a different brand. Thats why Im here: To find out what is an affordable and a good replacement.

It seems the replacement brand is not 'cast in stone'. Several members were able to replace the Hankooks with a different brand of tire. Perhaps this thread may be helpful. Time for tires

Peter

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?
I purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT brand new in November of 2017. I do not drive that often but the front two tires started flaking badly at 18704 miles. The date was July 16, 2020 and both tires were replaced under a partial warranty by the Ford Dealership where I purchased the SUV. Now eight months later, one of the original tires, which were moved to the front as a pair, is starting to flake at 22405 miles. The two new pairs in the back are fine and the original one on the opposite side shows no signs of flaking. Very unhappy with this tire brand. The new pair only have 5k on them so I am stuck buying two more tires for the front or junking it all and buying a better quality of tire and replacing all four at once.

Welcome to the Forum Charles. :wave:
Is your XLT FWD only or AWD/4WD? If the latter, remember that it is always best to have tires that are close to the same diameter on all corners. I don't know how much wear was on the tires that were placed on the back but because of the brand it could be quite a bit from what I've read here.
I think I would have changed all 4 at the same time. If it was my vehicle, I'd change all 4 tires with a different brand since this would appear to be an ongoing issue if you just changed 2.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Charles. :wave:
Is your XLT FWD only or AWD/4WD? If the latter, remember that it is always best to have tires that are close to the same diameter on all corners. I don't know how much wear was on the tires that were placed on the back but because of the brand it could be quite a bit from what I've read here.
I think I would have changed all 4 at the same time. If it was my vehicle, I'd change all 4 tires with a different brand since this would appear to be an ongoing issue if you just changed 2.

Peter
I did. I ordered four Pirelli Tires that were rated #1 per the category by TireRack. It is an FWD vehicle. According to the dealership, Hankook would not warranty the tire past the 3yr-36mo warranty for the Ford when purchased new. With COVID, I have traveled very little and in three years the SUV has 22400 miles on it. Needless to say, I am done with Ford as well as I am just a number in their book. No customer loyalty. No help at all over my latest tire issue. "Ford is not in the tire business", according to their service manager. After 11 plus years of service at Ford, those days are coming to an end as well. Cheers. The new Hankook tires were placed on the back in November of 2020 and the older set was moved to the front. So the new Hankook tires had less than 4K when I told them to pull them off and throw them in the trash along with the front tires. Hopefully, Pirelli will honor their warranties.

From the Tire Warranty brochure.
1. WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW LONG Hankook warrants that a tire manufactured by Hankook and equipped originally on the vehicle is free from defects in materials or workmanship in normal use for the life of the original usable tread. The life of the original usable tread ends when the tire tread has been worn down with only 2/32nds of an inch (1.6 mm) remaining, at which point the tire is considered to be fully worn out.
It also goes on about Prorated replacement.
Looking at the Pirelli warranty, it isn't much different.

Peter

Has anyone noticed the Hankook commercials show cars drifting instead of normal driving? Maybe yall are just doing it wrong lol

From the Tire Warranty brochure.
1. WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW LONG Hankook warrants that a tire manufactured by Hankook and equipped originally on the vehicle is free from defects in materials or workmanship in normal use for the life of the original usable tread. The life of the original usable tread ends when the tire tread has been worn down with only 2/32nds of an inch (1.6 mm) remaining, at which point the tire is considered to be fully worn out.
It also goes on about Prorated replacement.
Looking at the Pirelli warranty, it isn't much different.

Peter
I argued the same point with the dealership. They claimed they called Hankook as was informed the tires were no longer under warranty because the vehicle, although purchased new, was over three years old. I am certain three years is not considered to be very old in the tire world for a tire that basically was coming apart (flaking, etc.) with 22400 miles on them. I seriously doubted the Ford service rep even took a measurement. Ford Motor Company was of no help as well....3 yrs or 36k and it no longer our (Ford) problem. The Pirelli tires I purchased were rated #1 in the category for the tires I needed per TireRack. Hankook was not even in the top 15 brands suggested. Their tire brand is average at best...bottom line. I'll take my chances with Pirelli.

As per the Warranty Guide, Ford is only involved if the factory warranty is in effect. If it is not, then it is up to the tire manufacturer. I believe some members went directly to a Hankook dealer for a resolution. In any case, good luck with the Pireillis.

Peter

Should anyone with an existing set of OEM Hankook tires experience these same flaking issues in this forum and find that neither Ford nor Hankook will pro-rate them for new ones, I would suggest you might consider the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. I can only speak for myself, but the difference between the comfort and ride of the Pirelli verses the Hankook was like night and day. Because of the location of the dealership, I was able to take my SUV out to the highway loop on the way home. The speed limit was 70 and I pushed it up to 80 briefly (I wish I lived in Arizona full time) and it was like being in a new vehicle. I will never own another Hankook tire nor will I ever purchase a vehicle that has the Hankook brand as its OEM They are simply cheap quality tires. PS: I am only an Explorer owner and not an employee of Pirelli nor was I compensated for my opinion. I am certain there are many other tire brands other have chosen and were happy with as well.

Should anyone with an existing set of OEM Hankook tires experience these same flaking issues in this forum and find that neither Ford nor Hankook will pro-rate them for new ones, I would suggest you might consider the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. I can only speak for myself, but the difference between the comfort and ride of the Pirelli verses the Hankook was like night and day. Because of the location of the dealership, I was able to take my SUV out to the highway loop on the way home. The speed limit was 70 and I pushed it up to 80 briefly (I wish I lived in Arizona full time) and it was like being in a new vehicle. I will never own another Hankook tire nor will I ever purchase a vehicle that has the Hankook brand as its OEM They are simply cheap quality tires. PS: I am only an Explorer owner and not an employee of Pirelli nor was I compensated for my opinion. I am certain there are many other tire brands other have chosen and were happy with as well.
Just don't tell the guys on the F150 forum that Pirelli makes good tires. They'll laugh right out of the thread.

Just don't tell the guys on the F150 forum that Pirelli makes good tires. They'll laugh right out of the thread.
I always used Michelin tires on my previous F-150. I used TireRack for my Explorer tire recommendations.

I always used Michelin tires on my previous F-150. I used TireRack for my Explorer tire recommendations.
My 16 F150 came with the hankooks AT's on the oem sport 20's, those were some of the best tires I've had on a vehicle, next to the Stock 35' Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my 2007 H3, those were some of the best AT tires I've ever had. Got 113k out of miles on the Bridgestones.

Think I'm going to give the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, when the Hankooks wear out. Other Explorer owners pretty much give em a 5 out of 5 review on discount tire .com

Think I'm going to give the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, when the Hankooks wear out. Other Explorer owners pretty much give em a 5 out of 5 review on discount tire .com
I had them on my 03. They were OK. Not great not bad.... there are better tires that are newer now. Check tirerack.com out.

My Hankooks have 29k on them, mine have the flaking/chipping on the outer tread. Been rotated every 10k miles and balanced. Wouldn't take another set for free after all the complaints, even though they ride smooth and quiet on my 19 Limited.

20210326_225036.jpg

20210326_225104.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that most OEM tires that you find on new vehicles are on there for a quiet and comfortable ride, not longevity. Hankook has some highly rated tires. Back when I was on the Toyota forum, there were also many complaints about the OEM tires that came on those vehicles.
Also, if you check the Hankook site you'll find these tires are passenger car tires.

Peter

Back