truck dies while driving | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

truck dies while driving

Any penetrant. WD-40, PBB, Tri-Flow (My favorite, smells great too ;)). Be very patient doing this, you are working around gas. Those hard fuel lines can be damaged easily and expensive to replace, if you can still find them at all.

Ok thanks, if my truck hasn't been started in 2 or 3 days should I still try and start it to alleviate the pressure in the fuel lines, or should I be ok?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most fuel pressure is relieved within 24 hours. Should be fine without starting. Protect your eyes, gas stings big time.

I tried using tri-flow and even bought the metal tool instead of the plastic one and I still cant get the fuel lines off. What should I do?

None of the three connectors came off? Check out this Lisle 37300 disconnect pliers to see the action needed.

It's all technique and luck with any other type of tool. Are you compressing the tool into the fuel line fittings?

None of the three connectors came off? Check out this Lisle 37300 disconnect pliers to see the action needed.

It's all technique and luck with any other type of tool. Are you compressing the tool into the fuel line fittings?

Yes iv watched a bunch of videos on how to do it but its like they are corroded on. I am going to try one last trick I saw yesterday using some vice grips then I guess I will just have to see if it starts without changing the fuel filter

Ok the truck starterted up after 2 or 3 tries and now it runes much better, it used to idle at like 500-600 rpm's and now its up to like 900-1000 range. After letting it run for 3 or 4 minutes though I smelling the buring oil and saw a little smoke and after looking oil had already ran down the header closest to the driver and was dripping a little on the middle header. Time to replace the valve cover gasket right?
Never got the fuel filter off, figured I may have to take it to a professional I guess:dunno:

Bummer about the filter. Don't feel bad, many have been beaten into submission and have paid a "professional" to fight it. Do yourself and engine a favor, clean it before you attack the valve cover gasket. The leak will be much easier to pinpoint and you will have a happy engine. I used two cans of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite on a slightly warm engine, closed the hood for 20 minutes, and rinsed with very low pressure water spray. Didn't cover anything and used a leaf blower to dry it. O'Reilly's has Gunk on sale now for $3.49 each. The pic you see in post #6 is a direct result of my cleaning, your results may vary. ;) Remember the valve cover gasket repair pdf I linked in post #28 .

Bummer about the filter. Don't feel bad, many have been beaten into submission and had a "professional" fight with it. Do yourself and engine a favor, clean the engine before you attack the valve cover gasket. The leak will be much easier to pinpoint and you will have a happy engine. I used two cans of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite on a slightly warm engine, closed the hood for 30 minutes, and rinsed with very low pressure water spray. Didn't cover anything and used a leaf blower to blow dry it. O'reilly's has Gunk on sale now for $3.49 each. The pic you see in post #6 is a direct result of my cleaning, your results may vary. ;) remember the valve cover gasket repair pdf I linked in post #28 .
Yah I read through the pdf as long as I label and take pictures it doesn't seem that hard. Should I replace both sides while I'm at it or any other seals/gaskets that I am already going to uncover getting to the the valve cover? I used some gunk foam but it did not do much so I will go get the engine bright and see if it will work better.
Also if I am looking to replace my spark plugs should I do this at the same time? Just looking to do anything else that needs to be done at once so I dont have to take stuff apart too many times.

I used some gunk foam but it did not do much so I will go get the engine bright and see if it will work better.
Sounds like the engine is caked with grease. Many have said diluted Simple Green, but I've heard conflicting stories.
Do some searching on detailing sites such as Autopia, Autogeek, etc. for advice from "professional" auto detailers. WTH?
Geez, at least the "title" sounds good. ;)

Also if I am looking to replace my spark plugs should I do this at the same time? Just looking to do anything else that needs to be done at once so I dont have to take stuff apart too many times.
Motorcraft SP500 Finewire is the direct OEM replacement for the factory installed AGSF22FM/PP. O'reilly usually stocks
and sells them for around $5 each. If unavailable, use either Autolite APP103 double platinum or XP103 Iridium. Avoid using other plugs, many negative experiences and reviews. Carefully check .054 gap, lightly coat threads with copper or nickel anti seize sold in pocket packs, dielectric grease on boots, and you're set for at least another 70-100K. Remove passenger tire for #3 attacking it from underneath.

Ok the truck is still having issues it will die after it idles for a minute or two so I an going 2 have the insurance tow the truck up to a shop and have them change out the fuel filter and if that doesnt fix the fuel pump I guess. Hopefully I will be able 2 change the vavle cover gasket before the truck goes to the shop and then maybe it will run smooth.

Good luck with everything and way to keep your head up with these issues bud! It can be super-frustrating, but once you get things figured out I think you will be much happier! Merry Christmas!

The truck has 156k miles iv had it for about 8k and we bought it with like 135k for my brother and he was the type of person as long as it drives there is no need to do anything to your car lol go figure he just blew his radiator by not checking his fluids.
Replacing the fuel filter is an absolute priority. Wouldn't be surprised if it's never been changed after 156K. As mentioned, if dying suddenly it's usually ignition, if it sputters probably fuel. If the issue persists after the filter get the fuel pressure tested. Worst case scenario would probably be the fuel pump. Baffling why it hasn't thrown a CEL or trouble codes. :scratch:

Ok I was trying to to replace the valve cover gasket and after disconnecting the spark plug wires I am suppose 2 remove 2 8mm bolts to take coil pack or whatever its called off. I removed 1 but the other hole where the bolt should be has like a rivet in it or a bolt thats sheared off. What can I do in this situation or should I just have a shop try and fix?
The first 8mm bolt and where the 2nd bolt should be
20131220_151449.jpg
20131220_151505.jpg

Back