• Register Today It's free!

truck dies while driving

kcbme

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac 4x2
So while driving my truck will randomly shut off the engine and power steering but not the instrument panel lights or the radio. It will usually start back up but a little rough and I usually have to give it gas for a bit then it will sometimes die again and other times not. The truck also idles lil rough and seems to shake a little.Someone said it could be a fuel pump going bad? Now I do have a 3000 watt sound system with a stock alternator and battery (upgrading for christmas) but the truck usually dies when I am not listening to music so I doubt that has to do with my problem. Any thoughts? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any check engine light or trouble codes? These four parts should be considered routine maintenance on the ST. Also change the fuel filter at the recommended 30K interval or earlier. These will probably NOT solve your stalling issue, but your Trac will run much better if they haven't yet been serviced. Intermittent problems are a PITA, start by scanning for DTC's and report back with the p0 code numbers, if any. GL

IAC Valve Cleaning
http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/CleaningIAC/CLEANING_IAC_MOTOR.htm

Throttle Body Cleaning (CRC Throttle Body Cleaner)
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/ThrottleBodyCleaning/Throttle_Cleaning.htm

MAF Sensor Cleaning (CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner) Do NOT touch filament.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350613

PCV Elbow Inspection or Replacement (Very common failure on later SOHC's)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

Ok I dont get a check engine light until it dies then when it starts back up it goes away but I will try to take it to autozone to get it plugged in. As far as all the stuff you posted im sure none of it has been done as this was my brothers truck before mine and he trashed the truck. I will work on doing all those thing, I also need the lower ball joints replaced. Would it be practical for me to attempt this myself or is this something left to someone who has done it before? I got quoted $350 to replace them
Thanks

Definitely get it scanned for codes, and remember the numbers. I would almost be inclined to clean the IAC, throttle body, and MAF one at a time to feel the difference. Explorer's are known for eating suspension parts, lower ball joints and sway bar end links are usually the first two to fail. I've seen many tutorials on 2WD lower ball joint replacement, this one is simplified and very easy to follow. Spraying penetrant and freezing them overnight makes R&R easier. Here to help. :thumbsup:

I will try and get the codes tomorrow thanks, and your correct I need the sway end links replaced too I forgot about that haha. I will read the link u posted and see what tools I will need to borrow. Thanks for the help hopefully the cleaning will help as the truck has began to feel sluggish and worn out at 155k. One last question since you answered my others so fast, any idea what could be causing oil and grime build up on the engine? On the drivers side of the engine right above where the headers go in I believe is the worst. Sometimes it smells a little like burning oil but i think the grime could be dripping or getting on the hot headers and that is the smell? Sorry for the essay read

Have to say I know very little about oil leaks and dust, I can't tolerate a dirty engine. If I see any, out comes the toothbrush, Q-Tips, rags, and compressed air, no cleaners or engine detailer spray needed.:D I'd say the drivers side valve cover gasket is one possibility. Forgot to mention also changing the PCV valve and spark plugs if you are approaching 100K, Motorcraft parts preferred. No oil or dust allowed on the engine below. ;)

40LSOHC.jpg

Here's an FAQ link for posting pictures, see if you can for your oil leak.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147920

Yah when I get a new car I want it to be spotless under the hood haha but when I got the truck it was bad, there was grime on almost the whole engine but I cleaned the engine bay witha spray and it helped some but its still far from clean. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow thanks again for the help:D

Went and got it plugged in and there are no codes. We checked the battery and the machine was having trouble getting a reading it kept saying check the connections. When we finally got it to work it said 50% charge then 0% charge after that but the truck started up fine. Im gonna put the battery on a charger at home and see if it helps any, but a bad battery would not cause my truck to die while driving would it?

A bad alternator would. And if you have a bad battery, then your alternator is working too hard and it might be toast too.

A bad alternator would. And if you have a bad battery, then your alternator is working too hard and it might be toast too.
Ditto. Slight PITA, but remove the alternator and have it bench tested.

Well I had to replace the alternator like 5k miles ago but autozone has a lifetime warranty on the alternator atleast if thats the problem, can autozone bench test an alternator?

Once your ST is running you could take the battery out and it should stay running. If you can get behind the alternator (with st running) with a screwdriver, see if it has any magnetic pull in the center area. Fast, free test for alternator, better than taking off and carrying it up to autoparts.

Ok the side opposite the pulley right?

yes, backside of alternator closest to engine.

Ok I put a screw driver up to the alternator and there is no magnetic pull. Today it got worse and as I was driving home the truck was acting weird, I was driving and the transmission almost acted like it would slip(the security light lit up when this happened), there would be a loss of all power and the rpms spike then it would catch and be fine and it died about 5 mins after that started. Managed to restart 2 times but it finally died right before I got to my house and would not even rollover. Towed it home and battery is at 12.3v I am going to charge it and see if that helps. Any input? I also tried to jump it whenit died but no luck

Charged the battery up to 12.7 and the truck still wont start. When I put the key in the aux position the radio works the air conditioner ect, but when I turn the key to start it it makes no noise and my radio and other electronics shut off. Im so lost:(

I would guess alternator is bad. Take it back, they probably have a tester or can at least exchange it.

Ok I will try that next but wouldn't my truck still start with a bad alternator if the battery is charged? Someone said I may need a new starter could it be that? Sorry for all the questions but this problem is beyond my knowledge and I am out of ideas at this point. Thanks again for the input:thumbsup:

Do you have another battery to try, or can you jump off another car ? I'm wondering if the battery has been killed, or how much amps is has in it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried jumping it with a kia soul maybe it was too weak? I can try and jump it with the burb my parents have and swap the battery I guess see if that helps. What about the engine start up on a battery charger? I think it said 50 amp start up but I have never used it before.

Back