• Register Today It's free!

Truck will not crank over

AndyT

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 EB edition
I am having a problem with my 96 Explorer EB that has gotten worse over time. All seems normal except the starter will not engage when the key switch is turned to the start position. I have searched and found several threads on the subject that discuss the transmission shifter cable, neutral safety switch , etc. but it seems my problem may be a little different.

When this happens I have noticed:

All seems normal except the starter will not engage, no clicks or anything from under the hood

The backup lights do come on when the shifter is in reverse.

Moving the gear shift many times back and forth does not help. I have also tried this while holding the ignition switch in the start position. Tilt wheel position makes no difference.

When this happens I can jumper the starter relay ,battery to the start post (small post on the relay) and the truck will start every time.

When this happens the steering wheel does not lock with the key switch in the off position and key removed. When the truck does start normally the steering wheel does lock as it should.

My Haynes manual was of no help on this one. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay,

Thanks for the reply, will the shift linkage caues the steering wheel not to lock?

Would anyone have a diagram of the locking mechanism for the steering wheel and/or suggestions on how this could interact with the starter not engaging? I feel sure these two are connected in some way.

How old is the starter? It could be the the solonoid is shot.

jremington59,

The starter is only about 3 years old and the truck is not used that often.
Also I would think
"When this happens I can jumper the starter relay ,battery to the start post (small post on the relay) and the truck will start every time. "

proves out the issue is not a starter or relay.

Just to follow up on this problem it was the ignition key lock switch. When I removed the old one you could see the grooved end was a bit chewed up and worn. Strange that the old one operated smoothly though. New key lock fixed it.

Thanks,
Andy

Also I do have a exploded diagram of the steering column if someone needs it. I cannot post it but will email to someone that can.

Not real neat but here it is.

http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/AndyT_2009/
Ford4.jpg

Back