Trying to choose a nice sub for the factory box | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to choose a nice sub for the factory box

Another thing to consider is if you are going to cover the sub, or leave it exposed.

If covering, and using a spacer, you'll have to take into consideration the height of the sub from the surface, the spacer height, and the sub's excursion.

My old school 8" Kicker Solobaric is mounted with no spacer. I used a two-piece mesh grill from Parts Express, https://www.parts-express.com/steel-mesh-2-piece-grill-for-10-speaker-black--260-426 . I wanted sub protection, with a clean look, and not the waffle grill with four surface clamps. I used a 10" size since the 8" might not cover all the existing opening in the OEM cover I used. No clearance problems from the sub height or excursion. Future plans are to paint the black grill and OEM cover to match my interior color.

Click on image for larger view:
th_DSC00451.jpg

The Infinity sub is just an example of what you can get for $50 vs the $150 Kicker. I'm sure the Infinity is too deep to use in the factory enclosure, you'd need a really thick spacer and it'd be a lot of work to get it to fit. You'd be better off making a custom box from MDF and sticking in it there.

The Polk is only 4" deep. Not as shallow as the Pioneer at just under 2.5" but it still fits.

The Polk is a good choice for the price since it's NOT ultra shallow (super thin shallow subs make a lot of compromises and are not the loudest subs), and is available in a single voice coil 4 ohm version.

Since the Polk 8" handles 180W RMS, the Pioneer GMA 3602 amp that puts out ~180W RMS @ 4 ohms seems a pretty good match for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GMA36...=1428098820&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+amplifier

Amazon has the Polk sub for $50 with free shipping, and the amp is $65 with free shipping. $115 for quality components.

If you really want a shallow sub, I'd say the Pioneer would be the way to go, though you'd need an amp that only puts out 150W @ 4 ohms.

Ok thanks for all the help. I think I'll go with this setup. Cheap and install is straight forward.

Back