Trying to eliminate P0455, P0457, and 'Check Fuel Cap' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to eliminate P0455, P0457, and 'Check Fuel Cap'

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I've been trying to address the P0455, P0457, and 'Check Fuel Cap' messages I've gotten on my 2001 Explorer XLT V-6 with 152,000 miles.

Originally, I would get the occasional 'Check Fuel Cap', but lately I'm just getting either a P0455 or P0457. I suppose it could be multiple things going on, but wanted to start with trying to address the fuel cap rim.

I posted some pictures here awhile back and folks suggested using JB Weld to build up the lip of the rim. It finally got warm enough to try this repair.

Here is a slide show, showing

- 2 'before' pictures
- 1 picture of the JB weld before sanding/filing
- a few pictures after sanding/filing
- a few pictures of the gas cap

http://youtu.be/jHP3K0I-NCI

The cap fits snug, but after only 2 days of driving (approx 50 miles) after the repair, the P0455 is back.

I'm wondering if, even though the cap fits snugly, that maybe the rim needs to be made more 'flat' to ensure a uniform seal ? (ie more sanding)

Or maybe I should try a new cap ?

Or maybe its really not related to the fuel cap at all ?

I'm hoping the pictures might give people a chance to assess whether I've made the problem any better ............. about the same ......... or maybe worse ?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have driveability issues? Might be a vacuum leak.

Its been running good.

I'm beginning to think that I need to sand the rim a little better so it forms a more uniform seal.

The light seems to be coming back on quicker after I reset it - takes less time to come on than it used to, so I suspect that even though I filled in some of the gaps, I've probably created a less 'flat' surface to seal against.

My P0455 issue was caused by the return line having rotted away in the left frame rail just above the rear axle. Since it appears your truck dwells in the Rust Belt as well, take a peek and see what's going on under there.

Bill

I am having the same P0455, 0457 and gas cap lites on my wife's 2000 Explorer Limited. No idle or driving issues are apparent. Started about 3 months ago, first thing we did is replace the gas cap. After more checks engines I explored the gas fill pipe & hoses. The metal fill pipe seemed intact but the hoses were spongy so I decided to replace them. The vent hose is 3/4" and not hard to find. The fill hose was not available at auto parts. I found it at special Hose shop. Dealer wanted $400 for the assembly. Replacing the hoses was not too difficult but it did not fix it. The check engines and gas cap lite are back. Hope someone has some ideas on isolating this failure.
Mick in
Dobbins, CA

Back