Turbo or Superchargers for first Generation Explorer's? (1991-1994) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo or Superchargers for first Generation Explorer's? (1991-1994)

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
I haven't seen any or heard anything about it yet, but I was wondering are there turbo or superchargers for the 1991-1994 explorer's? If so where do I find them, and how much about?

My ex has a new rebuilt engine 10K miles on it. And I wanna go ahead and go all out with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sorry that I don't have any details but I know there are some superchargers for the first gen, years ago you used to be able to get them at select Ford dealers even.

They're out there. I think there are 2 or 3 to choose from running anywhere from $2500 - $4000 is my guess. Use the search button and talk to a member named Alec. Actually, he'll probably find this thread soon enough.

Now that I think about it more, Vortech makes one:

Dead Link Removed

BBK or Vortech? Which is better?

And whats the big deal between turbo(haven't found any) and superchargers anyway?

Try www.howstuffworks.com for the workings of the different systems. There are also many threads on this site about superchargers and turbos.

Basically turbos spin using exhaust pressure, and superchargers spin using a pulley off the motor.

IMO, an eaton-roots type supercharger is better for a truck application than a centrifugal. Thus, the BBK is the better kit to get than the Vortech. The only benefit to the Vortech is that you can easily plumb in an intercooler.

And if all of this is Greek to you, I suggest you research on how superchargers work, the differences between them, intercooling, etc.

Alec hit it right on the head, but just to expand a little on what he said.... Centrifugal blowers build up air as it goes through the power band which means it starts off slow and gradually spins around and around till its at its max psi allowed by the underdrive pulley. This type of blower is not good for towing as it doesnt help the low end torque and is mostly used in the 1/4 ml and highway driving. Root type blowers like the BBK are good for pretty much the whole bandwith of power. Low end torque and quick power when you need it is good for towing or just cruising down the street blowing away V8 Trucks. So its not that one is better than the other, one is better than the other for your specific application. ;)

www.howstuffworks.com is a great site. I've been going to it for years and have learned a ton of info on everything!

Back