Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here

15256434258331585190787.jpg

1525643498398163988355.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered mine from Auto Nation Ford in White Bear Lake as previously mentioned and found it for $5 less on Tasca. Here is the link to Tasca's
Turbocharger - Ford (CB5Z-6K682-G) | TascaParts
Looks like it has come down some I got it for $880.xx and then I am going to send them an overnight shipping label via my employer's DEEP discount. WIN!!!
$250 of that is the core. I SURE HOPE my bad wastegate doesn't get me a lower core value. That is actually why A1Cardone doesn't have any in stock it is part of the core and can't be rebuild. I found a "rebuildable core" on ebay currently listed for $350 LOOKS like the wastegate is good but might not be. Anyway I THINK my turbo is good outside of the wastegate but I could be wrong. I could put that wastegate on and my oil seal blow out, the bearing could be worn I don't know. I just wish there was an upgrade wheel, bearing rebuild kit for it I would have gone for the ebay one and paid for an upgrade but FAT CHANCE of anyone investing in the 2.0 for the explorer/flex The Focus has one

This is my first and probably last Ford Explorer. Next week I’m taking my 2013 Explorer back in to get the turbo changed for the 3rd time in 5 months, and on the last visit a month ago when they replaced the turbo and all related parts, they replace my motor mounts (which I thought was odd).

Welcome to the Forum Trevor.:wave:
Very few members here have had to replace a turbo, let alone 3 of them. That does not seem to be a problem with these vehicles. There must be a reason why this is happening with your Explorer. Has the dealer offered any opinions?

Peter

Update the bearing was OK but once HEATED up I am convinced it was seizing up or just not as free spinning as it should be. Wastegate rattle is gone. For anyone attempting these things are water cooled as well as oil lubricated/cooled. You will need to drain the radiator first. Unless you just want to take a bath in coolant and oil as I did.
On a side note the replacement axle carrier bearing mount is MUCH beefier than the original that broke. The one that looked like it was engineered by Toyota, Kia, or Honda or something. This one looks worthy of the Ford name. It actually bolts to the block in 3 places instead of just 2.

20180511_225454.jpg

FB_IMG_1526170912981.jpg

20180511_224942.jpg

20180516_183951.jpg

20180516_183847.jpg

If you look on ebay and other places you will see listings for Turbos for the Focus, Fusion and other platforms that use the 2.0 ecoboost SOME of them have a different design for the mount that holds the wastegate solenoid actuator and the vacuum sensor. But the biggest difference you will notice is those turbos have extra mounts on the hot housing and say the will NOT fit an explorer. Guess what I pulled off of my explorer. See the extra unused mounts on the hot housing? Well I said naaa as soon as I do that something else will be out of spec, it won't bolt up or the output to the Cat will be a different diameter or SOMETHING I was wrong. Those turbos are more readily available lower cost and say they won't fit but it would APPEAR (buy at your on discression) the DO fit.

Has anyone else had problems with the turbobooster in Ford Explorers. I have a 2013 with 62,000 miles (so out of warrenty naturally). The warning light has come on intermittently, and we have been told they hear a rattle in the turboboost and the wastegate is broken. They said they must replace the turboboost. Now here's the real kicker, Ford does not have the parts in stock, and we have been told the vehicle is not driveable. The part will not be available for at least a month, until September, and the dealership has not offered us a loaner car. Anyone else having issues like this?

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer 2.0 with about 90K and the vehicle could not maintain top gear at highway speeds, it would jump out of top gear and into 5th for 20 seconds and then back to top gear. It also seemed weak on power in top gear. I get 24.0 mpg at 72 mph and it started being inconsistent.Took it to the dealer and they are telling me the turbo needs replacement. $3k if I had to pay for it myself (only 1.8K for the warranty folks) but I got the Extended ford warranty for 100K miles or 5 years so they are paying for it. Happy that I got the warranty but disappointed that this has happened. I have alway had the vehicle serviced by Ford and consider myself a conservative driver meaning I don't ever thrash the engine. Glad this forum is hear and just wanted to share my experience. Car has been reliable to date.

Having the same issue here with the rattling on my 2012 Explorer 2.0 115k miles. Brought it into the dealer to have it inspected. Turbo is shot and needs to be replaced. Service guy is also stating the catalytic converter needs to be replaced because the original will not work with the new turbo. Anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

Have 2012 2.0 with just over 70k dealer said turbo needs to be replaced also the catalytic converter will need to be replaced. Why would they need to replace converter also. 2800 think it’s time to buy buy that new Chevy.

Ahhhhhh yes, because it took me 5 seconds to find posts on GM engines needing new turbos in vehicles that were 4 yrs old and out of warranty.

2015 1.4L Turbo Failure

Thanks for joining...

Actually it sounds like your a few months late on buying that new chevy. At least the next owner will get a car with a new turbo and a new cat. good Luck

It's possible whatever happened to the turbo may have caused damage to the catalytic converter.
From what I've seen on this forum, it's not common.
Probably about as common as turbo failure on a Chevy.

Have 2012 2.0 with just over 70k dealer said turbo needs to be replaced also the catalytic converter will need to be replaced. Why would they need to replace converter also. 2800 think it’s time to buy buy that new Chevy.
Welcome to the Forum Del.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Check out post #28. That member also had to replace the convertor.

Peter

And this kids, is why I have and will NEVER buy anything with a hair drier on it.

Did you ask the shop why they needed to replace the cat? I'm kind of surprised by the number of people that are told something by someone and instead of asking that person for clarification, they seem to want to go ask total strangers on the internet to 'splain it to them.

If a turbo lets go on the exhaust side it is possible for the converter to be damaged.

If there was a change/update to the turbo and it now requires a new exhaust manifold or downpipe w/cat, it is possible that one would have to replace those parts as well.

Maybe the shop is looking to pad the bill and seeing what they can get away with?

And this kids, is why I have and will NEVER buy anything with a hair drier on it.
I've been around cars and bikes for 30+ years and road raced and drag raced a bit during that time. I can't ever recall anyone actually using that slang for a turbo. I did a quick google search and did see a few odd references to it, but unfortunately the majority of the other slang references for "hair dryer" are best not shared in mixed company...

Did you ask the shop why they needed to replace the cat? I'm kind of surprised by the number of people that are told something by someone and instead of asking that person for clarification, they seem to want to go ask total strangers on the internet to 'splain it to them.

If a turbo lets go on the exhaust side it is possible for the converter to be damaged.

If there was a change/update to the turbo and it now requires a new exhaust manifold or downpipe w/cat, it is possible that one would have to replace those parts as well.

Maybe the shop is looking to pad the bill and seeing what they can get away with?

I've been around cars and bikes for 30+ years and road raced and drag raced a bit during that time. I can't ever recall anyone actually using that slang for a turbo. I did a quick google search and did see a few odd references to it, but unfortunately the majority of the other slang references for "hair dryer" are best not shared in mixed company...
I guess I came up with that one on my own. I was working in a Ford stealership when Ford hung them on '79 rustangs. They were P.O.S. then, and from what I have seen since then, they are slowly maturing. Very Slowly. In another 20 years, they WILL be bullet proof- unfortunately, I will be in my 80s and if still kicking, I won't care how fast my car is.

I guess I came up with that one on my own. I was working in a Ford stealership when Ford hung them on '79 rustangs. They were P.O.S. then, and from what I have seen since then, they are slowly maturing. Very Slowly. In another 20 years, they WILL be bullet proof- unfortunately, I will be in my 80s and if still kicking, I won't care how fast my car is.
The early ones weren't the best, but by the mid 80's they were pretty good. I had an 86 SVO that was pushing 25-30 psi of boost and there were a lot of folks at the time that were running big boost and big HP with the 2.3L turbo'd pinto motor in t-birds in the 80's and 90's. It was a pretty reliable at ~15 psi and was easy and relatively inexpensive to dial up.

My 1.5L boosted fusion is getting real close to 100K and it has been pretty solid so far. Take care of them and they will treat you right. They aren't any better or worse than the alternatives on average.

Stealership, Rustangs, hair drier?? And you are in your 60s? Would have thought otherwise based on that.

I am 61.5, but young for my age.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stealership, Rustangs, hair drier?? And you are in your 60s? Would have thought otherwise based on that.
You can add Exploder as another term that has outlived it's 'cuteness'.IMO.

Back