Typical Brake performance review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Typical Brake performance review

T/REXPLORER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT V8
I use to race in SCCA events, and always used Hawk brake pads. I always used them on the trucks I towed with too.

Well fast forward a few years and the same kinds of performance increases are available on the Explorer of ours too.

HP+is the most aggressive of a street pad that Hawk makes but not available for the Explorer. Hawk does make a Super Duty pad ("tow rig pad"). From what I remember they are a small step down in brake force (bite) from the HP+ but dust less. These are available for the Explorer.

The "street pad" is the HPS compound. I've used these on both autocross cars and tow rigs. Not as much initial bite as the HP+ and superduty pads but still great. Low dust, and long lasting too. And as good as it sounds the pedal feels better as well. (this has been my experience in every vehicle too and I'm not sure how to explain it)

Anyhow, if you are due to change your brakes spend a little extra money and get some good pads. I picked mine up from the Tirerack, but Stranoparts.com sells them too.

A big brake kit with parts store pads will not perform as well as stock brakes and good pads. That's the truth

Anyhow the entire point to all this was that the HPS pads work great on the Explorer and I'm positive that anyone else who tries them will be MORE than happy as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've used Hawk with good results on cars before as well.

Welcome to the site!

Back